Re: [art_education] perplexed

  • Walsh, Tina
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2011
       Sharpen paper punches by punching tinfoil with them.  You can also use spray silicone to loosen them up.
    • Julie Casebourn
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2011

        I considered that, but the oil will leave residue on the paper

        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2011
          Stretches? Just kidding. Steam?

          Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.

          From: Julie Casebourn <juliecas@...>
          Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 08:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
          To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [art_education] perplexed

          I have some shape punchers that are sticking and not springing up when I punch out paper shapes.  Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to "loosen" up the puncher so it springs back up effortlessly and.... how about a tip on how to sharpen a paper puncher.
        • MARYANN KOHL
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2011
            You give the punchers each a little squirt of WD40, then use them on scrap paper to get things moving, then let them sit on a paper towel overnight. They'll be fine.
            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
            MaryAnn

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2011
              sharpen by punching through aluminum foil, de-stick by punching through wax paper
              Monica

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2011
                Thanks for the advice Monica and Maryann

                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2011
                  If you buy a small can of "3 in 1" oil at the hardware store it will serve many purposes and last several years, most likely. Use it on the hinged part of the paper punch, not the cutting edge.

                  Then use it on your paper cutter if you have the old style cutter, using it on moving parts, excluding the blade. Etc.

                  I think the WD 40 is convenient but is not as long lasting as the 3 in 1.

                  I hope that helps. I'm going to try the foil and wax paper tips also!

                  Gayle