Re: [art_education] perplexed

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2011
      WD40.
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn
      On May 3, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Julie Casebourn wrote:

      I have some shape punchers that are sticking and not springing up when I punch out paper shapes.  Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to "loosen" up the puncher so it springs back up effortlessly and.... how about a tip on how to sharpen a paper puncher.

    • Walsh, Tina
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2011
         Sharpen paper punches by punching tinfoil with them.  You can also use spray silicone to loosen them up.
      • Julie Casebourn
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2011

          I considered that, but the oil will leave residue on the paper

          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

        • poundcopy@att.net
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2011
            Stretches? Just kidding. Steam?

            Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.

            From: Julie Casebourn <juliecas@...>
            Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 08:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
            To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [art_education] perplexed

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2011
              You give the punchers each a little squirt of WD40, then use them on scrap paper to get things moving, then let them sit on a paper towel overnight. They'll be fine.
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              MaryAnn

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2011
                sharpen by punching through aluminum foil, de-stick by punching through wax paper
                Monica

                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2011
                  Thanks for the advice Monica and Maryann

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4, 2011
                    If you buy a small can of "3 in 1" oil at the hardware store it will serve many purposes and last several years, most likely. Use it on the hinged part of the paper punch, not the cutting edge.

                    Then use it on your paper cutter if you have the old style cutter, using it on moving parts, excluding the blade. Etc.

                    I think the WD 40 is convenient but is not as long lasting as the 3 in 1.

                    I hope that helps. I'm going to try the foil and wax paper tips also!

                    Gayle