8 artists for eighth grade curriculum

  • pinept74@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
      HI anyone......  Last week i was invited to be on a committe to develop a curriculum for middle school art.  My task is to find 8 artists or art events that i think 8th graders should know.  My time span is from impressionism until about 1950's.  Ant suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      .....thanks for your wisdom

    • Woody Duncan
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
        When I taught Middle School I named the eight tables in my
        classroom after eight women artists:
        http://www.taospaint.com/EightArtists.html
        Hope this helps, Woody in KC

        --
        28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons

        My newest paintings from Taos:
        http://www.taospaint.com/Painting2003.html
      • cmaria
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
          This would be my pick:

          Van Gogh
          Monet
          Manet
          Matisse
          Seurat
          Picasso
          Georgia O'Keefe
          Grandma Moses

          C-M
        • Jennifer Auble
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
            With my eighth graders we learn about:
            Keith Haring
            MC Escher
            Andy Warhol
            Thomas Cole
            George Segal
            Chuck Close
            Vincent Van Gogh

            >>> cmaria@... 03/28/04 19:51 PM >>>
            This would be my pick:

            Van Gogh
            Monet
            Manet
            Matisse
            Seurat
            Picasso
            Georgia O'Keefe
            Grandma Moses

            C-M

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • SERGIOLORA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2004
              I am going to throw you a curve in terms of a suggestion:
              Why not compare and contrast two individual artists?
              1- Matisse/Mondrian
              2- Keith Haring/J.Michell Basquiat
              3- Joseph Cornell/Christian Boltanski
              4- Kathe Kollwitz/Frida Kahlo
              5- Granma Moses/Bill Traylor
              6- George Segal/Chuck Close
              7- Georgia O'keefe/Alice Neel
              8- David Hockney/Mike & Doug Starn
              Renee, I think this list should provoke, and challenge any group of 8th graders.
              Hope this helps some. Love         Sergio
            • pinept74@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2004
                Sergio....what a great idea!... I always say that we need in encourage more creative thinking..........By introducing two artists   my students can broaden their exposure to differnent artist with similar styles,,, and learn what makes them unique!!!!  thanks...Sergio.any more suggestions for working with inner city kids!!!
                                          renee.. in connecticut
              • LINDA KIELING
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 29, 2004
                  Hi all...I'm a newbie to the list :-), so here it goes..........

                  I would think (like Sergio suggested) that with any of the chosen
                  artists there should be contrasting and comparison activities. Also,
                  other contributors from that time frame will be touched upon as an
                  inspiration and/or as contemporaries of the chosen artist(s)...so you'll
                  really be including more than the 8 in the "focus"!

                  I believe a variety is necessary..........gender, media,
                  etc..........all the suggestions have been great for the Impressionism
                  through 1950's span....others for consideration might include (sorry if
                  I mention someone already suggested):
                  Auguste Rodin
                  Dorothea Lange
                  Toulouse-Lautrec
                  Wassily Kandinsky
                  Georges Braque
                  Franz Marc
                  Maurice Vlaminck
                  David Smith
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

                  and probably each of us could generate multiple lists so......I think
                  the bottom line is.......... "chose" your 8 and GO FOR IT :-)

                  Creatively, Linda

                  Linda W. Kieling
                  Art Educator
                  OAEA Youth Art Month Chair
                  Rosemont Ridge Middle School
                  20001 Salamo Road
                  West Linn, OR 97068
                  503.673.7591
                  503.657.8720 fax
                  www.wlwv.k12.or.us/rosemont/KielingL/Artindex.htm

                  >>> aublej@... 3/28/2004 7:47:37 PM >>>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2 6:40 PM
                    I answered this question off list with my ideas - also recommending more
                    variety and cultures. I think you should go with artists and cultures that
                    youcan easilyfind visual resources for. Check Shoreward Prints and Crystal
                    Productions catalogs (for videos).
                    Here is my own personal list of "must have" prints/artists:
                    http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/artists.htm
                    Shoreood and Art Image Productions