Looking to make a career move into Arts Edu - NYC

  • Samira
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2011
      I am a Marketing professional currently looking to make a career move into arts education. I have a real belief that arts education can help individuals grow and learn more about themselves, see things in a different light, and in all can be a very enhancing experience. I am seeking information and advice on how to transition in the New York Metro area. My interest is to teach art in a private school setting to elementary school children, or even foray into art therapy. I am not sure about teaching certifications, or what the best institutions in the area are to garner the tools for this kind of career move.
      Any advice is welcome. - Thanks! Samira
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2011
        Hi Samira,

        You need to check out the NY state DOE website. There are tons of information on certification and specifically teaching in NYC. On top of your art training you will need college courses in childhood development and education. Check out what Bank Street has to offer for masters degrees and certification programs too. Although private schools do not always require a certification, a successful art educator needs a strong background in art, child psychology and development, and teaching pedagogy. Teaching art is extremely fun- but not for the faint of heart! Good Luck to you, ALi k-4 NNY