Re: [art_education] Re: Japanes earthquake project

  • Lauren
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
      Ken, thanks so much for your hard work. This is really a beautiful idea and I'm so proud to be part of this amazing group.

      Best Regards,

      Lauren

      Lauren R. Perlman
      Founder/Director
      Mummies and Masterpieces

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 22, 2011, at 2:41 AM, "Ken" <kenroar@...> wrote:

      Thanks! I added your image to the lesson.

      Ken

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

      > The fan pin photo is in the files. The jpeg is listed as "Fan for Japan".

    • James Cipalla
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
        AWESOME job Ken - thanks for getting this together!

        Namaste,

        Jim Cipalla

        Art Teacher,
        North side Middle School
        Norfolk,Virginia
        JCipalla@...

        Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
        = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.
      • amy friedman
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
          love it- thanks for getting the idea rolling!
          amy

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 28, 2011
            I'm looking for the suggested price on the fans. Did someone have a suggestion? Thanks.
          • Ken
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 29, 2011
              Great question. Is there a consensus among the members of this group about the suggested "retail" price of the fans?

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 30, 2011
                After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.
              • James Cipalla
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                  We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                  Namaste,

                  Jim Cipalla

                  Art Teacher,
                  North side Middle School
                  Norfolk,Virginia
                  JCipalla@...

                  Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                  = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                  >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                  After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                • Robin Hartmann
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                    We are making our fans out of Shrinky Dink material- the kids can draw beautiful images, and they will show up- they won't be "folded" persay, but you will definitely be able to tell it's a fan
                    - We are on spring break, so I will post some pics next week!
                    Robin Hartmann
                    The New School Montessori
                    Cincinnati, Ohio
                    Sent from my iPod

                    On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:39 AM, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

                    We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                    Namaste,

                    Jim Cipalla

                    Art Teacher,
                    North side Middle School
                    Norfolk,Virginia
                    JCipalla@...

                    Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                    = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                    >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                    After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                  • Susan Michael
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                      Robin Hartmman,
                      That is a neat idea to do Shrinky Dink material as you can apply a pin back, or punch a hole and use a dog tag type chain necklace. Thanks for posting, Susan

                      Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:03 AM
                      Subject: Re: [art_education] Re: Japanes earthquake project

                      We are making our fans out of Shrinky Dink material- the kids can draw beautiful images, and they will show up- they won't be "folded" persay, but you will definitely be able to tell it's a fan
                      - We are on spring break, so I will post some pics next week!
                      Robin Hartmann
                      The New School Montessori
                      Cincinnati, Ohio
                      Sent from my iPod

                      On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:39 AM, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

                      We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                      Namaste,

                      Jim Cipalla

                      Art Teacher,
                      North side Middle School
                      Norfolk,Virginia
                      JCipalla@...

                      Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                      = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                      >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                      After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                    • Kathleen Maledon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 1, 2011
                        I kept some one to mention origami papers and toothpicks with
                        gold thread to hold accordian pleat....maybe I missed it.  the plastic fans will be beautatious  k

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
                          I have created a Fans for Japan photo album and uploaded an example of what my students have been up to. Some of the kids are doing lots better and I hope to post more next week. I hope more of you will share your fans.
                        • lindwood@prodigy.net
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                            Your fans are lovely, and I love the presentation. What age did these images?

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                              How do I get to the album?

                              Sent from my iPod

                              On Apr 2, 2011, at 9:51 PM, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

                              I have created a Fans for Japan photo album and uploaded an example of what my students have been up to. Some of the kids are doing lots better and I hope to post more next week. I hope more of you will share your fans.

                            • meryl
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                I added a fan pin to the photos that is made from a photo slide painted black and Japanese papers

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                  You can find it here:

                                  http://tinyurl.com/42nhekz

                                  Ken