Re: [art_education] Japanes earthquake project

  • James Cipalla
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011

    Ok, here are instructions.

    I contacted the website where I found the photo's and I have permission to use them.

    Let me know what you think and if we need to tweak anything.

    Namaste,

    Jim Cipalla

    Art Teacher,
    North side Middle School
    Norfolk,Virginia
    JCipalla@...

    Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
    = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.
  • Ken
    Message 2 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011
      Now all I need are image samples of the project. I am going to put everything up without the pics but it would be appreciated if someone would send me pics to go with the lesson.

      Ken

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

      > Ok, here are instructions.
      >
      > I contacted the website where I found the photo's and I have permission to use them.
      >
      > Let me know what you think and if we need to tweak anything.
      >

      > Namaste,
      >
      > Jim Cipalla
      >
      > Art Teacher,
      > North side Middle School
      > Norfolk,Virginia
      > JCipalla@...
      >
      > Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
      > = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.
      >

      > --
      > BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
      >
      > Teach the NPS spam filter, CanIt, if this mail (ID 01ElRdcPt) is spam:
      > Spam: https://spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us/canit/b.php?i=01ElRdcPt&m=beba748a11ac&t=20110321&c=s
      > Not spam: https://spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us/canit/b.php?i=01ElRdcPt&m=beba748a11ac&t=20110321&c=n
      > Forget vote: https://spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us/canit/b.php?i=01ElRdcPt&m=beba748a11ac&t=20110321&c=f
      > END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

    • Byrd1956
      Message 3 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011
        I am going to try and figure out how to post a picture of a student-made Fan for Japan. It was quickly made and does not have images painted on the fan before folding...just marbleized paper. Hopefully it will be clear enough for everyone to see. I think clear acrylic spray would be great to make them sturdier.

        > Now all I need is a fleshed out lesson(s) with images to post on the new page. Several people have said they are working on it.
        >
        > Ken
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "lindwood@" <lindwood@> wrote:
        > >
        > > RE Byrd's idea to make pins out of the fans:
        > > "My idea is that the fans can be made out of watercolor paper. Paint small Japanese themed images on both sides of a small watercolor paper (approx. 2"x6"). When dry fold as a fan; trim off excess and wrap end with raffia or thin gold wire. Add beads as desired and glue a pin clasp to the back."
        > >
        > > I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! They would be so unique!
        > > I would definitely wear one. They could also be sprayed with
        > > matte acrylic to make them more durable, couldn't they?
        > >

        > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I love all this dialog and am excited to join the Fans for Japan process.

      • Byrd1956
        Message 4 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011
          The fan pin photo is in the files. The jpeg is listed as "Fan for Japan".
        • Ken
          Message 5 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
            Thanks! I added your image to the lesson.

            Ken

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

            > The fan pin photo is in the files. The jpeg is listed as "Fan for Japan".

          • Lauren
            Message 6 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
              Ken, thanks so much for your hard work. This is really a beautiful idea and I'm so proud to be part of this amazing group.

              Best Regards,

              Lauren

              Lauren R. Perlman
              Founder/Director
              Mummies and Masterpieces

              Sent from my iPhone

                Message 8 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
                  love it- thanks for getting the idea rolling!
                  amy

                  Message 9 of 28 , Mar 28, 2011
                    I'm looking for the suggested price on the fans. Did someone have a suggestion? Thanks.
                  • Ken
                    Message 10 of 28 , Mar 29, 2011
                      Great question. Is there a consensus among the members of this group about the suggested "retail" price of the fans?

                      Ken

                      Message 11 of 28 , Mar 30, 2011
                        After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.
                      • James Cipalla
                        Message 12 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                          We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                          Namaste,

                          Jim Cipalla

                          Art Teacher,
                          North side Middle School
                          Norfolk,Virginia
                          JCipalla@...

                          Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                          = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                          >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                          After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                        • Robin Hartmann
                          Message 13 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                            We are making our fans out of Shrinky Dink material- the kids can draw beautiful images, and they will show up- they won't be "folded" persay, but you will definitely be able to tell it's a fan
                            - We are on spring break, so I will post some pics next week!
                            Robin Hartmann
                            The New School Montessori
                            Cincinnati, Ohio
                            Sent from my iPod

                            On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:39 AM, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

                            We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                            Namaste,

                            Jim Cipalla

                            Art Teacher,
                            North side Middle School
                            Norfolk,Virginia
                            JCipalla@...

                            Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                            = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                            >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                            After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                          • Susan Michael
                            Message 14 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                              Robin Hartmman,
                              That is a neat idea to do Shrinky Dink material as you can apply a pin back, or punch a hole and use a dog tag type chain necklace. Thanks for posting, Susan

                              Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:03 AM
                              Subject: Re: [art_education] Re: Japanes earthquake project

                              We are making our fans out of Shrinky Dink material- the kids can draw beautiful images, and they will show up- they won't be "folded" persay, but you will definitely be able to tell it's a fan
                              - We are on spring break, so I will post some pics next week!
                              Robin Hartmann
                              The New School Montessori
                              Cincinnati, Ohio
                              Sent from my iPod

                              On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:39 AM, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

                              We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                              Namaste,

                              Jim Cipalla

                              Art Teacher,
                              North side Middle School
                              Norfolk,Virginia
                              JCipalla@...

                              Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                              = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                              >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                              After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                            • Kathleen Maledon
                              Message 15 of 28 , Apr 1, 2011
                                I kept some one to mention origami papers and toothpicks with
                                gold thread to hold accordian pleat....maybe I missed it.  the plastic fans will be beautatious  k

                                Message 16 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
                                  I have created a Fans for Japan photo album and uploaded an example of what my students have been up to. Some of the kids are doing lots better and I hope to post more next week. I hope more of you will share your fans.
                                • lindwood@prodigy.net
                                  Message 17 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                    Your fans are lovely, and I love the presentation. What age did these images?

                                    Message 18 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                      How do I get to the album?

                                      Sent from my iPod

                                      On Apr 2, 2011, at 9:51 PM, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

                                      I have created a Fans for Japan photo album and uploaded an example of what my students have been up to. Some of the kids are doing lots better and I hope to post more next week. I hope more of you will share your fans.

                                    • meryl
                                      Message 19 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                        I added a fan pin to the photos that is made from a photo slide painted black and Japanese papers

                                        Message 20 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                          You can find it here:

                                          http://tinyurl.com/42nhekz

                                          Ken