Japanes earthquake project

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 17, 2011
      OK, let's make this think happen. We could have a website like the Houses for Haiti project had. I can take care of that.

      Look at http://www.haitihouses.org/ to see how they did their fundraiser. One of the links on the page had the lesson plan, with information on how to sell them. The "why" link would be an easy one. The "Where to donate" link would include various agencies for people to donate. They had a "Make a difference" link to report on how much money was being reported as being donated. Finally, they had a map on who was donating. This one doesn't seem that important.

      It appears from all the comments that most want to go the "Fans for Japan" route. This doesn't mean that we can't have two different lesson plans on there. Having a choice might be a good thing. Wish trees were mentioned a few times too. Is there someone who can submit a lesson for both the "Fans for Japan" and "Wish Trees" so I can put them up on the created site?

      Here is what everyone has said in this group thus far:

      I would like to do a fund raiser similar to the Houses for Haiti program - does anyone know of one, or does anyone have any ideas for this?

      how about doing the same houses only change the architecture to Japanese style?

      fans for japan- japanese inspired fans?

      I like the idea of fans for Japan -- I also thought, what about something to do with tea ceremonies? Tea cups for Japan?

      What about folding Japanese Paper Dolls? Small could become pins,larger ones could be bookmarks.

      I'm in on Fans for Japan - do you want to set something up with parameters, or leave it open?

      I would love for my kids to do "Fans for Japan"...What a great idea! Does anyone know where we could send them??? :)

      I LOVE IT !!!! - I was working on Suns for Japan - but Fans for Japan just rolls off the tongue :)

      Plus we could use card stock - the shape would be easy for the students to cut and it would be very popular with the teachers and parents!

      Perhaps students could create small wish trees and could go around and write wishes on them? Or one could purchase bonsai trees and talk about that as an artform as well- adding wishes to those, and selling them for $$ for Japan?

      http://imaginepeacetower.com/yoko-onos-wish-trees

      Paper cranes? Quick to make, and meaningful as well.

      here's a fantastic link that shows her with a tree, some kids writing their wishes, and different recreations of the Wish Tree.

      What about paying tribute to the Japanese Artist Yoko Ono, with a recreation of her 'Wish Tree'

      One was recreated recently at the Moma in NYC , and it was awesome. Everyone participates, and writes a wish, you could include prayers and thoughts about Japan & its people & everyone could participate. Aside from her fame with a certain Beatle, Yoko achieved great fame as a visual/performance artist with a lot of audience participatory based works.

      The children/adults could sign their names in Japanese:
      http://japanesetranslator.co.uk/your-name-in-japanese/
      This is what the name "Lauren" looks like in Japanese:

      "Lauren" in Japanese characters
      It is pronounced "ROOREN". (Consonants are pronounced more or less the same way as in English. "E" sounds like e in met. "O" sounds like o in old. Double vowels like "OO" are held for twice the duration of single vowels.) You can search for another name if you like:

      My school did hearts and houses pins for Haiti (we used friendly plastic and that worked great by the way!). We sold the pins and then sent a check from the proceeds to the Red Cross specifying that it was to help Haiti. People could also sell items – fans, and send the money to Japan. I think that's what my school plans to do. We are also going to try to have a special art show with trees (we were already building 2 large trees from recycled materials and we're thinking about doing tree sculptures from clay coils plus tree prints – this could be another way to raise money for Japan).

      I was invisioning children creating the fans and taking monetary donations -and giving the fans out to donators- all monies going to the American Red Cross-

      Would we be mailing the finished pieces somewhere? I think this is a great service oriented project.

      OK, here's what I was thinking - Either one of the great ideas on this link:

      http://www.thecraftyclassroom.com/CraftJapanFan.html
      http://www.thecraftyclassroom.com/CraftJapanFanPrintable.html

      or a combination of the two, where we could print out the image (some could use blank paper) - students could color them in, and then fold them into fans, tied at the bottom with a loop. I'm open to any of these or something new.

      1) Fans of Japan
      2) Wish Tree
      3) Houses of Japan

      We need to zero in on just any one idea that we can all work with the students. Let us start with the fans idea if the majority is in favour of it.I will work with my student too. The fans with the students wishes & signatures could be channelised through either the Red cross or the Japanese Consulate assisstance.

      Shall we set ourselves a deadline ( 4 April) by which date the fans should be ready? If anyone has done this before it would help if we could get instructions on materials and method of doing them.

      I think that 'Fans for Japan' is a wonderful idea. Consider how you might use them. I did Haiti Houses from mat-board. It was easy to cut on a large paper cutter and stiff enough to support the Enviro-Tex. I had some students who made a few at home from card stock and they were flimsy. Hand cutting the mat-board for a fan won't be the easiest but will look great. I'm not sure if my elementary kids will be able to do it. I'll just have to give it a try.

      Kerri- the kids at our school coordinated a sale of them at lunch time to each other. We sold them for $2 each. Our Haiti House sale went to help repair an orphanage through Mitch Albom and the organization Hole in the Roof Foundation (a church in Detroit).

      My pitch to the kids last year was that they were Kids Helping Kids.They all clamored to buy the tiny houses and wear them around school. I even had kids who would have liked to take some home and sell them to their grandparents and neighbors. We just couldn't make them fast enough. I'm sure this will be a big hit here and in Japan. Anyone in?

      Now all we need it a banner that can be distributed across the internet. Is there someone on here who can design it? Also, how do we go about getting any money it makes to Japan? I suppose we could funnel it into known non-profit groups such as those listed at http://au.news.yahoo.com/japan-tsunami/a/-/article/8999354/donate-for-japan
    • Makio Kawashima
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 18, 2011
        Dear all,

        Your words of encouragement meant so much to us at that difficult time, We want to thank you.

        Art e-Learning Center
        http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/epage.html
        Yokohama International Art Education Association
        http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/Association.htm

         Makio KAWASHIMA
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------☆

        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 18, 2011
          I'm glad to hear you are ok, I have had several students from Japan, and I am always amazed at how wonderful they are, not just as artists, but as people. I will do whatever I can to help.

          Namaste,

          Jim Cipalla

          Art Teacher,
          North side Middle School
          Norfolk,Virginia
          JCipalla@...

          Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
          = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

          ----------------------------------------------------------☆

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 19, 2011
            I love all this dialog and am excited to join the Fans for Japan process. My idea is that the fans can be made out of watercolor paper. Paint small Japanese themed images on both sides of a small watercolor paper (approx. 2"x6"). When dry fold as a fan; trim off excess and wrap end with raffia or thin gold wire. Add beads as desired and glue a pin clasp to the back.
          • Ken
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 19, 2011
              Would you please "flesh" this out a little? See what the Houses for Haiti site has done the lesson for their fundraiser: http://www.haitihouses.org/build.html

              The lesson will probably be followed by homeschoolers also, so keep that in mind.

              Ken

            • lindwood@prodigy.net
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 20, 2011
                RE Byrd's idea to make pins out of the fans:
                "My idea is that the fans can be made out of watercolor paper. Paint small Japanese themed images on both sides of a small watercolor paper (approx. 2"x6"). When dry fold as a fan; trim off excess and wrap end with raffia or thin gold wire. Add beads as desired and glue a pin clasp to the back."

                I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! They would be so unique!
                I would definitely wear one. THey could also be sprayed with
                matte acrylic to make them more durable, couldn't they?

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 20, 2011
                  Now all I need is a fleshed out lesson(s) with images to post on the new page. Several people have said they are working on it.

                  Ken

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011

                  Ok, here are instructions.

                  I contacted the website where I found the photo's and I have permission to use them.

                  Let me know what you think and if we need to tweak anything.

                  Message 9 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011
                    Now all I need are image samples of the project. I am going to put everything up without the pics but it would be appreciated if someone would send me pics to go with the lesson.

                    Ken

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

                    > Ok, here are instructions.
                    >
                    > I contacted the website where I found the photo's and I have permission to use them.
                    >
                    > Let me know what you think and if we need to tweak anything.
                    >

                    > Namaste,
                    >
                    > Jim Cipalla
                    >
                    > Art Teacher,
                    > North side Middle School
                    > Norfolk,Virginia
                    > JCipalla@...
                    >
                    > Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                    > = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.
                    >

                    > --
                    > BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
                    >
                    > Teach the NPS spam filter, CanIt, if this mail (ID 01ElRdcPt) is spam:
                    > Spam: https://spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us/canit/b.php?i=01ElRdcPt&m=beba748a11ac&t=20110321&c=s
                    > Not spam: https://spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us/canit/b.php?i=01ElRdcPt&m=beba748a11ac&t=20110321&c=n
                    > Forget vote: https://spamtrap1a.nps.k12.va.us/canit/b.php?i=01ElRdcPt&m=beba748a11ac&t=20110321&c=f
                    > END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

                  • Byrd1956
                    Message 10 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011
                      I am going to try and figure out how to post a picture of a student-made Fan for Japan. It was quickly made and does not have images painted on the fan before folding...just marbleized paper. Hopefully it will be clear enough for everyone to see. I think clear acrylic spray would be great to make them sturdier.

                      Message 11 of 28 , Mar 21, 2011
                        The fan pin photo is in the files. The jpeg is listed as "Fan for Japan".
                      • Ken
                        Message 12 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
                          Thanks! I added your image to the lesson.

                          Ken

                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

                          > The fan pin photo is in the files. The jpeg is listed as "Fan for Japan".

                        • Lauren
                          Message 13 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
                            Ken, thanks so much for your hard work. This is really a beautiful idea and I'm so proud to be part of this amazing group.

                            Best Regards,

                            Lauren

                            Lauren R. Perlman
                            Founder/Director
                            Mummies and Masterpieces

                            Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 15 of 28 , Mar 22, 2011
                                love it- thanks for getting the idea rolling!
                                amy

                                Message 16 of 28 , Mar 28, 2011
                                  I'm looking for the suggested price on the fans. Did someone have a suggestion? Thanks.
                                • Ken
                                  Message 17 of 28 , Mar 29, 2011
                                    Great question. Is there a consensus among the members of this group about the suggested "retail" price of the fans?

                                    Message 18 of 28 , Mar 30, 2011
                                      After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.
                                    • James Cipalla
                                      Message 19 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                                        We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                                        Namaste,

                                        Jim Cipalla

                                        Art Teacher,
                                        North side Middle School
                                        Norfolk,Virginia
                                        JCipalla@...

                                        Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                                        = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                                        >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                                        After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                                      • Robin Hartmann
                                        Message 20 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                                          We are making our fans out of Shrinky Dink material- the kids can draw beautiful images, and they will show up- they won't be "folded" persay, but you will definitely be able to tell it's a fan
                                          - We are on spring break, so I will post some pics next week!
                                          Robin Hartmann
                                          The New School Montessori
                                          Cincinnati, Ohio
                                          Sent from my iPod

                                          On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:39 AM, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

                                          We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                                          Namaste,

                                          Jim Cipalla

                                          Art Teacher,
                                          North side Middle School
                                          Norfolk,Virginia
                                          JCipalla@...

                                          Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                                          = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                                          >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                                          After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                                        • Susan Michael
                                          Message 21 of 28 , Mar 31, 2011
                                            Robin Hartmman,
                                            That is a neat idea to do Shrinky Dink material as you can apply a pin back, or punch a hole and use a dog tag type chain necklace. Thanks for posting, Susan

                                            Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:03 AM
                                            Subject: Re: [art_education] Re: Japanes earthquake project

                                            We are making our fans out of Shrinky Dink material- the kids can draw beautiful images, and they will show up- they won't be "folded" persay, but you will definitely be able to tell it's a fan
                                            - We are on spring break, so I will post some pics next week!
                                            Robin Hartmann
                                            The New School Montessori
                                            Cincinnati, Ohio
                                            Sent from my iPod

                                            On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:39 AM, "James Cipalla" <Jcipalla@...> wrote:

                                            We are not allowed to do this during the school day so I am putting together an after school event for all the students. We will then be asking for 1 - 2$ dollar donations during lunch and then let them pick out a fan on display to take with them.

                                            Namaste,

                                            Jim Cipalla

                                            Art Teacher,
                                            North side Middle School
                                            Norfolk,Virginia
                                            JCipalla@...

                                            Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                                            = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                                            >>> "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> 3/30/2011 11:40 PM >>>

                                            After talking w/my principal today we are going to do our fans $3. That may be low for some areas, but considering our area and that fact that the fans so far are not WoW I think it is a fair price. I am doing this with my enrichment 8th. graders and will be giving some firm guidance on ways to make their end product more marketable, so to speak. I shared before and after aerial images with them of the devastation. We are also looking at reference pictures of fans and Japanese images for inspiration.

                                          • Kathleen Maledon
                                            Message 22 of 28 , Apr 1, 2011
                                              I kept some one to mention origami papers and toothpicks with
                                              gold thread to hold accordian pleat....maybe I missed it.  the plastic fans will be beautatious  k

                                              Message 23 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
                                                I have created a Fans for Japan photo album and uploaded an example of what my students have been up to. Some of the kids are doing lots better and I hope to post more next week. I hope more of you will share your fans.
                                              • lindwood@prodigy.net
                                                Message 24 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                                  Your fans are lovely, and I love the presentation. What age did these images?

                                                  Message 25 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                                    How do I get to the album?

                                                    Sent from my iPod

                                                    On Apr 2, 2011, at 9:51 PM, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

                                                    I have created a Fans for Japan photo album and uploaded an example of what my students have been up to. Some of the kids are doing lots better and I hope to post more next week. I hope more of you will share your fans.

                                                  • meryl
                                                    Message 26 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                                      I added a fan pin to the photos that is made from a photo slide painted black and Japanese papers

                                                      Message 27 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                                                        You can find it here:

                                                        http://tinyurl.com/42nhekz

                                                        Ken