Re: Weya Story Quilts from Zimbabwe - one more source for Quilts

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2011
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Oh I love how this works! Ellin sent me another great source for the
      story quilts:
      www.zimbabweartistsproject.org

      Fortunately, the Story Quilt I like best from Zimbabwe Artist Project
      is sold or I would have had a real dilemma. I did order 2 sets of
      cards (calendar I wanted is also sold out - bummer).

      You will find a great T-shirt, too - along with original board
      paintings and gorgeous embroideries. I have two embroideries already
      from African Fabrics UK.

      So.... now after my cards and book arrive.... I will offer the book
      (on loan only) and a set of cards as visuals (loan only) to art
      teachers wanting to do a lesson. What I have done in the past, is
      offered a "mail it forward". I will collect a maximum of five teachers
      who want to do a lesson. You are free to scan images from the book and
      cards - keep them a max. of two weeks - then mail it forward to the
      next person on the list. Those who sign up must be folks I have heard
      from before.... as I did lose a video in the "mail it forward" a while
      back. Wasn't a problem for me as I made copies of the videos for me to
      keep - just in case. I don't want to lose this book. Hmmm... I lost a
      book once too (but that book had been a gift to me - so not a great
      financial loss).

      Other links poster were Africa Direct - enter Weya in the search and
      the page with all with come up.
      http://www.africadirect.com/

      World Folk Art:
      http://worldfolkart.org/
      Go to Art for the Wall - then Textiles
      Correction - smaller ones are only $42.00. If I remember correctly,
      shipping is a standard $6.00

      Zimbabwe Artist Project:
      http://www.zimbabweartistsproject.org

      A while back, a list member was asking for information on the Peruvian
      appliques. It would be nice to tie these two together in a lesson.
      http://andes.novica.com/folk-art/patchwork-art/

      Enjoy,

      Judy Decker