weaving with little kids

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2011

      When I taught those grade levels (regular classroom teacher), we
      put in some time trying to do weaving. Whooo boy! They can go
      over and under, but not over and under in a precise pattern.
      So think of it as abstract weaving!
      Also, I think I have more luck when they did some other weaving
      before trying paper. We wove surveyor's tape on a chain link
      fence and they seemed to do better with the bigger canvas.
      Just enjoy the results of this age... weaving with young children
      has some developmentally appropriate results that aren't quite
      what we expect to see, but still wonderful. Right??

      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      MaryAnn

      On Mar 3, 2011, at 9:06 AM, L. P. Skeen wrote:

      So I decided that teaching paper weaving to K-1 would be just an EXCELLENT
      idea. <sigh> I am EXHAUSTED from trying to wrestle the little monkeys into
      making over/under patterns. We had whole-class instruction and discussion
      of patterns, how over/under is an a/b pattern, how over is the opposite of
      under, over means on top, under means on the bottom, what does "opposite"
      mean, (The Foot Book - Seuss), etc. I say, "If you are making a
      checkerboard, you've got it right; if you are making STRIPES you have
      missed a step or two." What do I get? Stripes all over the place. Out of
      24 kids, I think maybe 4 got checkerboards in K; out of 22 in first grade,
      maybe two got checkerboards. <SIGH>

      For the kinders, I'm using fun foam sheets cut to 6x9" and with the warp
      already pre-cut for them - all they have to do is weave in the paper
      strips. For first grade, I pre-cut 9x12" paper into looms with 1" warp
      strips. Silly me, I was afraid they'd get done too quickly and I'd have to
      come up with drawing paper, LOL. No, we're having this project next time,
      too, LOL!!!

      I've been doing paper weaving as my TAB demo all week, 2-5 and it's been
      very popular. I took pix of each step and made laminated instruction sheets
      with pix AND words, so they could work independently. First day had some
      AWESOME peer-teaching going on - wish I had taken pix, but I Missed it. :(

      --
      L. P. Skeen, Summerfield NC, USA

    • Maude Ruesch
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2011

        I find that if we start out weaving with the mats open at the bottom just using black and white for two or three tries, they do a much better job with the closed ones.  I also teach patterning for a couple of weeks prior to starting weaving.  I am a preK classroom teacher though, so I have a little more time.  I can work on it for several days in a row.

        Maude in VA