Re: [art_education] Art Room Design

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      have a lower  counter space built to accommodate a large paper cutter.  cutting from
      the higher height is a 'hurtsome' task.  measure the drying racks so that they fit against the wall
      and do not protrude into the walkways.  putting plexiglass over that wall space allows the
      wall to be cleaned.  allow enuf space between the board and the ceiling to hang element charts or
      whatever.  have your desk by the phone hook up.  ask for an outside door.  two boards - one chalk and
      one white allow for a variety of uses for drawing/shading  and showing visuals.  in your storage area (w a door
      as some teachers think an art room closet applies to them, see if you can place large rubbermaid
      tubs between the shelves like an island.  I'm happy for your good fortune.  k

      On Mar 1, 2011, at 9:48 AM, shelleybloom@... wrote:

      I have just been informed that there is a chance my school will have the funding for a new art building. Right now the art room is the room that is left vacant, depending on enrollment. I am the "gypsy" art teacher, travelling from place to play. I don't really mind, but the idea of a permanent space has my head spinning!

      I was wondering if anyone has been through this process and has some concrete ideas or resources for me to begin to design what would work for my school. I was told not to be over-ambitious in terms of space - reasonable and modest, about 20' x 40'. We do have a small kiln and I would like to include that in my space - as well as a separate office area.

      Also, ideas on storage would be great.

      Thanks in advance!
      Shelley Bloom
      Art Therapist, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
      Chatsworth Hills Academy, CA

    • Diane Gregory
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
        Greetings Art Educators!
        Thanks to all of you that went to the ArtEdOnline.com blog site
        yesterday and today to learn about the Youth Art Month Challenge.
        Funny thing, the comments link was not working as intended so most
        were not able to accept the Challenge using the comments link as
        directed to accept the challenge. Just my luck! Sorry for the
        inconvenience.

        I tweaked the comments link and it is now operational. No more need
        to enter your user name and password. Whew!

        Kindly consider returning today and make a comment indicating that
        you are accepting the Youth Art Month Challenge sponsored by
        ArtEdOnline. Feel free to also make comments about how you intend to
        participate. Click on the link or copy and paste this link directly
        into your browser: http://www.artedonline.com/art-teachers-take-the-youth-art-month-challenge/
        While there, consider subscribing to the blog so you will get an
        email notice when new posts are available.

        Remember you can participate as much or as little as you would like.
        Sorry for any inconvenience. I am determined not to let us stop what
        could be a great opportunity for all of us to collectively advocate
        for art education in K-12 programs.

        Stay tuned later today for the second day post of the ArtEdOnline
        Youth Art Month Challenge. It will arrive sometime tonight!

        Thanks for your support.

        Cheers,

        Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.
        gregory.diane55@...
        dianegregory@...
        Go confidently in the direction of your dreams--Live the Life You've Imagined!
        Henry David Thoreau, Walden

      • Kelli Wilke
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
          I was lucky enough to get a new art room last year and I got to put in some of my two cents.  I suggested island sinks so more kids could clean up.  I had sinks at the back counter before and really only 2 kids could be at a sink at a time.  Now about 3 or 4 can work at each sink.  I also would suggest flat storage (I have large, skinny drawers) and some vertical storage as well.  Don't forget bulletin boards!!!  The room I had before had a floor to ceiling wall that was a bulletin board and I LOVED it...unfortunately, my new room does not have that and I miss it.  Good luck!!!
          Kelli in NE