Art Room Design

  • shelleybloom@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      I have just been informed that there is a chance my school will have the funding for a new art building. Right now the art room is the room that is left vacant, depending on enrollment. I am the "gypsy" art teacher, travelling from place to play. I don't really mind, but the idea of a permanent space has my head spinning!

      I was wondering if anyone has been through this process and has some concrete ideas or resources for me to begin to design what would work for my school. I was told not to be over-ambitious in terms of space - reasonable and modest, about 20' x 40'. We do have a small kiln and I would like to include that in my space - as well as a separate office area.

      Also, ideas on storage would be great.

      Thanks in advance!
      Shelley Bloom
      Art Therapist, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
      Chatsworth Hills Academy, CA
    • Kidlfrndly@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
        Dear Shelley,

          I have taught elementary art for 23 years in art classrooms which were originally general ed classrooms, so were not planned to accommodate art classes, though one classroom does have two sinks (the other has one sink.)
        I do love my classrooms, and I realize that I am lucky to have rooms- I've "lived" in them as long as I lived in my childhood home, so they feel like home. Nonetheless, I've had storage issues, particularly in the smaller of the two rooms, and  I've had plenty of time to dream about classroom improvements.

          I would definitely try to include a storage closet. My two schools and have the only two art rooms in our district without closets to store and lock things away. I have cabinets, but it's not the same.

        Depending on where the room is, if possible, a door that leads outside for ventilation, drying, tie dyeing, fish printing or Jackson Pollack kind of days, impromptu sketching field trips, etc. Both of the art rooms in the schools I student taught in had doors that lead outside, and they were wonderful.

         Other than that, good lighting,lots of bookshelves, deep shelves for storing large paper, large drawers to store student work. an area to store/display drawing models/art room artifacts,  a magnetic board, lots of outlets, generous countertops or shelving to serve as drying areas,  a clay  "area"- even just some low shelving- that stores the gear and "corrals" the kiln, a bank of sinks that are accessible from both sides....

        Hope the art room of your dreams comes true....
        Keep us posted!
        Lisa in NJ

        In a message dated 3/1/2011 11:49:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, bloomshelley@... writes:

[...]

      • Kathleen Maledon
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
          have a lower  counter space built to accommodate a large paper cutter.  cutting from
          the higher height is a 'hurtsome' task.  measure the drying racks so that they fit against the wall
          and do not protrude into the walkways.  putting plexiglass over that wall space allows the
          wall to be cleaned.  allow enuf space between the board and the ceiling to hang element charts or
          whatever.  have your desk by the phone hook up.  ask for an outside door.  two boards - one chalk and
          one white allow for a variety of uses for drawing/shading  and showing visuals.  in your storage area (w a door
          as some teachers think an art room closet applies to them, see if you can place large rubbermaid
          tubs between the shelves like an island.  I'm happy for your good fortune.  k

          On Mar 1, 2011, at 9:48 AM, shelleybloom@... wrote:

[...]

        • Diane Gregory
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
            Greetings Art Educators!
            Thanks to all of you that went to the ArtEdOnline.com blog site
            yesterday and today to learn about the Youth Art Month Challenge.
            Funny thing, the comments link was not working as intended so most
            were not able to accept the Challenge using the comments link as
            directed to accept the challenge. Just my luck! Sorry for the
            inconvenience.

            I tweaked the comments link and it is now operational. No more need
            to enter your user name and password. Whew!

            Kindly consider returning today and make a comment indicating that
            you are accepting the Youth Art Month Challenge sponsored by
            ArtEdOnline. Feel free to also make comments about how you intend to
            participate. Click on the link or copy and paste this link directly
            into your browser: http://www.artedonline.com/art-teachers-take-the-youth-art-month-challenge/
            While there, consider subscribing to the blog so you will get an
            email notice when new posts are available.

            Remember you can participate as much or as little as you would like.
            Sorry for any inconvenience. I am determined not to let us stop what
            could be a great opportunity for all of us to collectively advocate
            for art education in K-12 programs.

            Stay tuned later today for the second day post of the ArtEdOnline
            Youth Art Month Challenge. It will arrive sometime tonight!

            Thanks for your support.

            Cheers,

            Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.
            gregory.diane55@...
            dianegregory@...
            Go confidently in the direction of your dreams--Live the Life You've Imagined!
            Henry David Thoreau, Walden

          • Kelli Wilke
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
              I was lucky enough to get a new art room last year and I got to put in some of my two cents.  I suggested island sinks so more kids could clean up.  I had sinks at the back counter before and really only 2 kids could be at a sink at a time.  Now about 3 or 4 can work at each sink.  I also would suggest flat storage (I have large, skinny drawers) and some vertical storage as well.  Don't forget bulletin boards!!!  The room I had before had a floor to ceiling wall that was a bulletin board and I LOVED it...unfortunately, my new room does not have that and I miss it.  Good luck!!!
              Kelli in NE