Seeking alternative to expensive "document camera" (ex: Elmo) to project demos..

  • carney_home
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2011
      Who has used an IPEVO Point 2 View, or alternatively rigged a web cam to work as a "document camera" (like an Elmo) to demo drawing and painting techniques? I want to project CLOSE UP demonstrations of how paint flows across different paper types, how mark making techniques can shade gradually, how 2 primary colors mix to make a secondary --- projected up on a large screen using a digital projector. We only have 2 Elmos at my elementary school because they are SO expensive! I have access to a projector, but need an affordable way to CLEARLY capture project demonstrations in order to project them on the wall so a class of 27 can see the magnified art process up close. Does anyone have advice?
    • TriciaF
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2011
        I just got an IPEVO as my document camera (only $70).
        I like it better than those clunky Elmos because you can connect via USB and open the screen in a window. I teach digitally on my interactive board and I want to be able to switch from my digital lessons to my demos without having to fumble with the source input on the projector.

        I took a picture of the clarity of my IPEVO so you can see:
        http://twitpic.com/3y3tkb

        Tricia Fuglestad, IL
      • Barbara Yalof
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2011

          Tricia, Thanks so much for sharing that little inexpensive camera. I can’t believe the possibilities here. For critiques, too. How large an area can it show clearly?

          Barbara Y.

          cid:058b01c82f77$cffb5d70$6901a8c0@D6BC5Y51Barbara Yalof

        • Kelli Wilke
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2011
            Wow!  I am so glad this question was asked and
            Answered!  I was grappling with the same issue and I think
            This is doable in my situation!  I can't wait to try it put!
            THANK YOU!!!!!
            Kelli in NE

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Feb 26, 2011, at 7:30 AM, "TriciaF" <tricia_fuglestad@...> wrote:

            I just got an IPEVO as my document camera (only $70).
            I like it better than those clunky Elmos because you can connect via USB and open the screen in a window. I teach digitally on my interactive board and I want to be able to switch from my digital lessons to my demos without having to fumble with the source input on the projector.

            I took a picture of the clarity of my IPEVO so you can see:
            http://twitpic.com/3y3tkb

            Tricia Fuglestad, IL

          • Leslie Young
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2011
              I have used the doc camera for 3-4 years now and love it, I was fortunate
              enough that they saw that I was checking the doc camera out whenever no one
              else was using it (almost daily) so the tech dept permanently installed a
              project to my ceiling and a bought a doc cam for my room.

              I have used it for painting techniques and the key is all in the lighting
              when working with color the lighting is the key to getting a good image for
              the kids. I get better results for using more indirect light But for just
              pencil or pen drawing the more direct the light is the better. I like to
              use the zoom feature on the projector instead on the camera to get close
              ups.

              Using the doc cam has been a big benefit the kids catch on quicker because
              they can do it with you. And you can see their faces and tell weather they
              get or not. The doc cams are little cheaper than the ELMO because they don't
              have that big bulks base and have all the same features like: freeze frame
              record and video record, pause, play back features, and graphic toolbox, but
              our district bought them in bulk for the whole district with a technology
              grant so it might not hurt to talk to your district tech dept, they might
              help you too.
            • TriciaF
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2011
                Barbara,
                I'm not sure how big of an area can show clearly, but I do know that it's very adjustable. I can tilt it up and show objects from across the room or go as close as two inches and get great detail.
                I learned about this camera from a tech conference. Everyone was saying this was the way to go for showing students apps on an ipad/ipod.

                Tricia
              • Barbara Yalof
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2011

                  Tricia,

                  Thanks for your response. Wow- cheaper alternatives!

                  Listen, I am going to start putting out word that I’d like to organize an online art educators conference sometime in the summer. FREE!!

                  I’m getting my doctorate in e-learning and ed tech and wanted to do something like this (too late to make it a dissertation topic) …I have a few friends who have run online conferences who would help.

                  What do you think? Might you want to present? You would be fabulous!

                  Barbara

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1, 2011
                    Greetings Art Educators!

                    Take the Youth Art Month Challenge.

                    Go to:  http://www.artedonline.com/art-teachers-take-the-youth-art-month-challenge/

                    and accept the challenge at my blog site:  artedonline.com.

                    This is a month long challenge.  You can participate as much or as little as you want.

                    I have been inspired how social networks such as Facebook have been used to fuel a revolution in the Middle East.

                    Now is the time to act in support of Art Education before potentially long lasting negative decisions are made that affect the future of art education.  Take the Youth Art Month Challenge:  http://www.artedonline.com/art-teachers-take-the-youth-art-month-challenge/

                    Spread the word to all of your art education colleagues.  Together we can have an impact!

                    Diane Gregory, Ph.D.
                    dianegregory@...

                    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams--Live the Life You've Imagined!
                    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

                    Dr. Diane C. Gregory
                    Associate Professor of Art Education
                    Director, Undergraduate & Graduate Studies in Art Education
                    dgregory@...

                    From: art_education@yahoogroups.com [mailto:art_education@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of TriciaF