Re: Teaching Perspective in High School...a slow death

  • pent19
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2011
      I have enjoyed teaching perspective and find that the success rate is extremely high because its just following a set of rules. However, having moved from the high school to the elementary i understand the struggle of teaching perspective to high schoolers. The basics (like how to use a ruler) need to be taught to the high schoolers again and these basics can get very redunant and take away from the project.

      That being said I would figure out what you want the students to walk away with. I want my students to independently create a horizon line, correct number of vanishing points, a shape, connect corners to vp., use a ruler and color according to light source. I teach basic concepts and give a set of guidelines for their project (whats listed above) then have them create their name in block letters, a # of geometric shapes, # of abstract shapes, # of round shapes which gives them ownership of the project while acheiving a common goal. I also work on 12x18 paper which reduces the confusing clustering effect of construction lines.
      We also do 2 point on the computers for a couple of classes. Students get to work with layers, effects designing a buidling. The computers allow for easy fixing of mistakes and alot faster than a ruler!