Handmade paper?

  • miladyrigel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2011
      In the next couple of weeks, my Art 2 high school class is going to be making their own paper. Now I made my own paper in college for an assignment and it came out great, however, I could not write on it. Also the paper had a tendency to fall apart if too thin. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've heard of people putting gelatin in it to write on, does this help it from falling apart too? How much do I put in say a gallon of pulp and water?
    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2011
        I love to make paper with my kids, but man, what a mess. (Give yourself extra time for clean-up that day.)
        Gelatin should work, but you will also need to press it onto a super smooth surface like onto aluminum foil or another really smooth surface (freezer paper comes to mind, but I haven't tried that.) will allow that one side to be writable. When you turn the paper from the screen onto the foil, have them press the pulp down with their hands, not the screens- this also squeezes out some water, so it's not a bad idea. If they just press on the screen really hard to do it, it will ruin your screens that much faster by stretching them out. I keep small wood blocks by the turning station so they can use those.
        Only use a tiny bit of gelatin, or your paper will be too thin. I can't say how much, but experiment. I always guesstimate how much gelatin I add to the water, probably because I never measure the water first. But it should only be thick enough for you to say, 'nope, I would not drink that'. It should be just barely viscus. But the good news is if you add too much gelatin ( I have bought KNOX clear gelatin from the store and mixed it with boiling water before adding it to my larger pan), you can always add more water. The paper I have made with it has not rotted, but once I had nearly a whole batch go bad, and I couldn't really figure it out. Since I get my paper shreds from the paper recycling plant near me, I guessed that something must have been in their pile that I didn't notice (or couldn't see).
        Putting more gelatin in the water allows you to make thinner sheets. It's best to use cotton or rice fibers if you're going to make thin paper. The regular tree, recycled blender paper will not hold up well if it's thin. We have taken too thin paper and spray adhesived typing paper to the back side to keep it together, so it's not an obstacle you can't overcome, but does require an extra step.
        Always have 3/4 water to paper pulp in your blender and you'll make them last a lot longer. I've been known to be terribly cruel to blender motors, so learn from my fails. I also get cookie cutters and allow the kids to pour colored pulp into the shapes and then make a sheet of colored paper on top of that. It takes some finessing, but it's not that hard and once you get how to do it, it makes really neat, individual paper. For kids that have had paper making before, it may add a new element to it.
        Have fun.
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "miladyrigel" <ariel.kellogg@...> wrote:

        > In the next couple of weeks, my Art 2 high school class is going to be making their own paper. Now I made my own paper in college for an assignment and it came out great, however, I could not write on it. Also the paper had a tendency to fall apart if too thin. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've heard of people putting gelatin in it to write on, does this help it from falling apart too? How much do I put in say a gallon of pulp and water?

      • Elizabeth Adams Marks
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2011
          You will need sizing in the vat of pulp to be able to apply a wet medium.  I teach papermaking from plant fiber at my middle school, as well as adult workshops at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Follow the link to a simple version of my lesson with children at: http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Elizabeth-paper.htm  For more information about papermaking and links to suppliers, check out my blog:

          http://www.2ndhandpaper.blogspot.com/

          Elizabeth Adams-Marks

          Art Education St. Louis, MO

          Handmade Paper from Plants