Re: Basic skill lessons (perspective ideas)

  • priorhouse
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2011
      Julie - THANKS for that nice note. I take so much away from the sharing in this group and so it is nice when I actually have a little time to bounce some ideas in as well!

      And while on the perspective topic, I do think it is worth noting that some kids do not always "get it" right away when we say that things get larger as things move from the vanishing point. Even bright middle schoolers seem to need things shown extra clear and need to see it multiple times. And whether a small, quiet class or a bustling class of 30 - a few tend to always feel lost at first. I stopped doing the mobile home as an intro for this very reason (those floating shapes work way better for intro).

      One thing that has worked me is not only showing the class on the board, but if possible - showing students one on one as needed (and multiple times if needed). I also have some students draw only three items-
      that are exaggerated - tiny, small (close to VP) - medium (moving away), and large (nearer). Ahead of time I tell the class to not get frustrated and that some students will get it easier and faster than others - it really depends on the person and their brain. This seems to help too.

      We are making the back wall (imaginary room) next week and I will touch base if there is any insight worth sharing!

      ~Mrs. Prior in VA