Re: Basic skill lessons (perspective ideas)

  • tikaljak
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2011
      Mrs. Priorhouse-thank you for the detailed ideas. I am trying them out myself and really appreciate your sharing. Feel free to send me more if you have any thing you think is helpful.
      Take care,
      Julie

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "priorhouse" <priorhouse@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > 12. Erase unneeded guide lines at the back of the house.
      > Students can add another house, they can add mountains or clouds in the background (behind the vanishing point) or they can add lines to the street. This is a great lesson to teach about depth and students can add rocks that get lighter and smaller as they get closer to the vanishing point.
      >
      > E. V- birds and perspective
      > I like to take a few minutes making some v-birds together. I also tell students how some art teachers do not like the "v" birds used in pictures and I ask them their opinion – like why do they think some teachers may or may not like the birds. Then we make a couple of "v" birds to show depth – some are tiny, whisper light and some are dark and bigger. Some of these lessons have led to details that have really revealed a lot about the students to me – for example, one student put in a huge flock of birds – wow, did he add a lot of birds. And I pointed it out to the student that it seemed to match their strong social skills and how they seem to get energized from groups – and also how it made their picture feel energized and all that. The student felt really tended to and seemed to beam from such a specific, positive comment. A different example came with a student that made two, simple birds – they showed depth and followed the lesson, but we talked about how quiet the picture felt – how calm and how serene the two birds made the picture feel. Little tidbits like this are great art criticism starters and also a great way to really edify young artists that thrive from the slightest encouragement (especially with vulnerable artwork). So I try to have specific comments for most artwork, but I keep it natural and real as well – and sometimes "interesting" is the perfect response. lol
      > Also, with the v birds, I have found that they really give the students a chance to practice moving their hand, working with shades and pressure, and making line designs. I show them the M version of the bird and on scrap paper we have had times of just practicing and discussing different styles for a few moments.
      > If time, we can make other, more realistic sketches of birds, but for some reason, my classes have had a lot of fun with v-birds.
      >
      > F. Abeka art books have some excellent perspective lessons.
      >
      > G. One-point perspective lessons by Harold Olejarz here: http://www.olejarz.com/arted/perspective/
      >
      > H. The following lesson is on my list to do this year (hopefully). It has a great City Street up version and City Street down version.
      > http://www.egyptarch.com/books/freehand/learnhow2draw.pdf
      >
      > HTH,
      >
      > Mrs. Prior in VA
      >
      > >> However I need "basics" lesson info - such as drawing techniques, perspective and composition. My students have not had this kind of Anyone have any help in these areas?

    • priorhouse
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2011
        Julie - THANKS for that nice note. I take so much away from the sharing in this group and so it is nice when I actually have a little time to bounce some ideas in as well!

        And while on the perspective topic, I do think it is worth noting that some kids do not always "get it" right away when we say that things get larger as things move from the vanishing point. Even bright middle schoolers seem to need things shown extra clear and need to see it multiple times. And whether a small, quiet class or a bustling class of 30 - a few tend to always feel lost at first. I stopped doing the mobile home as an intro for this very reason (those floating shapes work way better for intro).

        One thing that has worked me is not only showing the class on the board, but if possible - showing students one on one as needed (and multiple times if needed). I also have some students draw only three items-
        that are exaggerated - tiny, small (close to VP) - medium (moving away), and large (nearer). Ahead of time I tell the class to not get frustrated and that some students will get it easier and faster than others - it really depends on the person and their brain. This seems to help too.

        We are making the back wall (imaginary room) next week and I will touch base if there is any insight worth sharing!

        ~Mrs. Prior in VA