after school art casses

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hi,

      I have been teaching art as an after school activity for the past 15 yrs and recently posted images of my students works of their 13th Annual art exhibition.

      I charge $ 15 per hour without supplying any materials.When the child enrolls I give the parent the list of materails required and they buy it on their own.
      I charge a much higher fee to parents who come in the mornings to learn art.

      We cannot confuse two professions.... that of an art teacher with that of a baby sitter.While there is a dignity in both jobs the work & skill varies and also the expertise.Our students go on in life to become artists, architechts and graphic designers.We help them on their path to successful art careers.Sometimes they end up earning much more than the $ 15 that they paid us for each class.That is the dedication of every teacher.
      I have (luckily) never needed to hire a baby sitter and painted from home while my kids grew up.It must be hard for those who need to hire baby sitter to find that right "mother" who will take their place while they are out at work .A huge responsibility on the baby sitter too... to look after a toddler.

      Kamla
      Chennai, India