Positive/Negative in shadow puppets

  • Katherine Abrams
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2011
      I agree with Diane that the shadows are positive shapes. The positive shapes are those your eye sees first. Interestingly, the puppets, of course, are also positive shapes, unlike stencils, which are negative shapes that make a positive shape on the paper.

      Kathie A.
    • Shelley Bloom
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2011
        Yes, I agree they are positive shapes.  It was easy to see when I had my kindergarten class trace their hand shadows and cut them out for their shadow puppets.  They were able to see the negative shape left behind in paper.

        Shelley B.

        --
        Shelley Bloom, MFT, ATR
        Director of Counseling, Art Teacher