mobiles

  • Kelli Wilke
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2011
      Good evening,
      I will be trying mobiles for the first time with my 6th graders.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  I'm not sure if I should used bent dowel rods or wire.  And haven't decided what they should hang.  I thought about letting them come up with a theme and then find objects that go with it but that might be too advanced for 6th graders.  But I think cutting out of cardboard or construction paper isn't advanced enough.  I am debating clay but not sure how to go about it.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Kelli in NE

    • MARYANN KOHL
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2011
        Using heavy colorful acrylic sheets to cut into shapes looks really sharp.

        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        MaryAnn
        360.592.9201 office
        maryann@...
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

        On Feb 6, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Kelli Wilke wrote:

        Good evening,
        I will be trying mobiles for the first time with my 6th graders.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  I'm not sure if I should used bent dowel rods or wire.  And haven't decided what they should hang.  I thought about letting them come up with a theme and then find objects that go with it but that might be too advanced for 6th graders.  But I think cutting out of cardboard or construction paper isn't advanced enough.  I am debating clay but not sure how to go about it.
        Any suggestions would be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Kelli in NE

      • amy friedman
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2011
          where would  you get acrylic sheets?

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2011
            Graphics supply, office supply

            From: amy friedman <amyfriedman01@...>
            Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 18:28:48 -0800 (PST)
            To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          • Elizabeth Adams Marks
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2011
              I've used recycled left-over lamination plastic. Students cut into shapes and color with permanent markers. Clip with clothes pins or tape and wrap thin strips to dowel rods. I heat the pieces with a heat gun to add wobbles. The students poke small holes and string together.

              Elizabeth Adams-Marks

              Art Education St. Louis, MO

              Handmade Paper from Plants

              Book Arts - Illustration

              adams-markse@...

              http://www.2ndhandpaper.blogspot.com/

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2011
                I am cuttently doing this with 5th grade with only some success. I did this with a mixed 6th 7th and 8th grade class last yeaqr and they were much more creative and successful. I use bailing wire. We talk about contour likes and make shapes with only a wire line. (the example of a silly band really helped them understand the concept) They then choose a theme for shapes and make a minimum of 6. Next, I use colored tissue and cover the shapes. Coating the tissue with gloss modge podge gives the tissue a sheen and a more translucent quality that is nice when they are hung and the lite shines through. We then discuss different types of balance and how to achieve balance on. I make them create an asymetrical balance by putting either more shapes on one side and moving the center of balance or by having smaller shapes balance the weight of a larger heavier shape. Using the wire is pretty versitile and wire cutters can be found less than $2 a pair.
                My biggest challenge was storing the projects in progress. I had them keep the shapes in their sketch book until all were finished. Then when they were ready to start balancing and hanging them I ended up putting push pins all around the room on the walls to hang until the projects were finished. My ceiling is about 25 feet high and there is motion detectors in the room that would go off at night if I hung them in there until they were finished. I then I hung them around the school.

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> wrote:

                > Good evening,I will be trying mobiles for the first time with my 6th graders.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  I'm not sure if I should used bent dowel rods or wire.  And haven't decided what they should hang.  I thought about letting them come up with a theme and then find objects that go with it but that might be too advanced for 6th graders.  But I think cutting out of cardboard or construction paper isn't advanced enough.  I am debating clay but not sure how to go about it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                > Thanks,Kelli in NE

              • christinereg
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 7, 2011
                  Elizabeth and Diane,

                  Both of your mobile projects sounds fascinating and I would be VERY interested to try them. Do either of you happen to have a photo of your mobile project? I would love a visual example. Thanks so much!

                  Christine

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "dianekoch1967" <dikoch@...> wrote:

                  > I am cuttently doing this with 5th grade with only some success. I did this with a mixed 6th 7th and 8th grade class last yeaqr and they were much more creative and successful. I use bailing wire. We talk about contour likes and make shapes with only a wire line. (the example of a silly band really helped them understand the concept) They then choose a theme for shapes and make a minimum of 6. Next, I use colored tissue and cover the shapes. Coating the tissue with gloss modge podge gives the tissue a sheen and a more translucent quality that is nice when they are hung and the lite shines through. We then discuss different types of balance and how to achieve balance on. I make them create an asymetrical balance by putting either more shapes on one side and moving the center of balance or by having smaller shapes balance the weight of a larger heavier shape. Using the wire is pretty versitile and wire cutters can be found less than $2 a pair.
                  > My biggest challenge was storing the projects in progress. I had them keep the shapes in their sketch book until all were finished. Then when they were ready to start balancing and hanging them I ended up putting push pins all around the room on the walls to hang until the projects were finished. My ceiling is about 25 feet high and there is motion detectors in the room that would go off at night if I hung them in there until they were finished. I then I hung them around the school.
                  >
                  > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Good evening,I will be trying mobiles for the first time with my 6th graders. �Does anyone have any words of wisdom? �I'm not sure if I should used bent dowel rods or wire. �And haven't decided what they should hang. �I thought about letting them come up with a theme and then find objects that go with it but that might be too advanced for 6th graders. �But I think cutting out of cardboard or construction paper isn't advanced enough. �I am debating clay but not sure how to go about it. �Any suggestions would be appreciated.
                  > > Thanks,Kelli in NE

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 7, 2011
                    Is this what you were talking about, Maryann?

                    http://tinyurl.com/4a2tfjp

                    Ken

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 7, 2011

                      Yes, that's it, Ken.  http://tinyurl.com/4a2tfjp

                      Good job on searching!

                      Then just start clicking on products and those will lead you to other products, prices, numbers of sheets.

                      Some of the choices are:

                      Though a little costly, you can cut so many shapes from a sheet, especially if the kids do 1" circles, squares, and not much bigger.
                      But whatever you can afford, then you'll know how many for what size shapes you expect them to make.

                      Colored Transparent Sheets

                      Acetate Transparent Sheets

                      Crossbow Education Colored Reading Overlay

                      Gels Sheets

                      And you can also use the plastic sheets that cover reports.

                      They come in pretty colors, especially the Gels and Crossbows.

                      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                      MaryAnn

                      On Feb 7, 2011, at 8:55 PM, Ken wrote:

                      Is this what you were talking about, Maryann?

                      http://tinyurl.com/4a2tfjp

                      Ken

                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "MaryAnn" <maryann@...> wrote:

                      > Graphics supply, office supply

                    • subirdsings
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 7, 2011
                        Hi, My tenth grade class is currently working on Stabiles and Mobiles in the style of A. Calder. We are using wire and future board, along with other material, tape, glue, etc...a problem solving exercise - they choose what they think will work best to hold the pieces together.

                        Future board works really well. Easy to cut, paint, and manipulate. Future board is like cardboard, but made out of acrylic/plastic. I'll send pictures when we are finished. Actually not sure if it's available in the States, but should be.

                        Sue Eubank
                        Chiang Mai International School
                        Thailand
                      • Kelli Wilke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
                          Thank you everyone for your suggestions for mobiles.  I appreciate the input!!

                          Kelli in NE