Bead for Life - affordable paper beads - plus lesson idea

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2011
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Jan posted this site to ArtsEducators list:
      http://www.beadforlife.org/
      in the book I bought - but what a GREAT way to promote contemporary
      bead making in Africa! I have been making jewelry for about a year now
      using my own hand made paper beads - "Necklaces with Meaning". I don't
      sell them, I give them away. I make 16 for the volunteer event for Et
      Cetera/Ten Thousand Villages - and made 14 for my church silent
      auction. I have made more for gifts and door prizes. I am doing a
      workshop at an area church in February (rescheduled from this month -
      I guess the postponement was meant to be!). I am ordering two packages
      of the paper beads for the gals to use (and will gift them some of my
      African Trade beads, too).

      If you don't have time to make you own paper bead jewelry to inspire
      your students, the jewelry from Bead for Life is a real bargain! I
      paid a lot more for my multi-color bead strand from Global
      Crafts/Gifts for Humanity (Global Gallery in Columbus). I also have a
      paper bead necklace made in Uganda (Ten Thousand Villages) - that I
      have tweaked into a one of a kind statement for AIDS Awareness (I
      didn't like the wood beads that were strung with it). I have seen the
      Bead for Life jewelry - now available at Global Gallery in Columbus.
      It is VERY nice. I will be ordering myself a necklace that I don't
      need - just because they are gorgeous! and such a low price.

      It is soooo easy to make paper beads. I use a toothpick to roll them
      around - but for younger kinds, you could use skewers. You start with
      long skinny triangles - 1" at the base is good - and 10 to 12 inches
      long makes a nice bead. Card stock beads don't need to be so long.
      Start rolling from the base - and glue the tip with good old Elmer's
      (for slick paper, I use Quick Hold glue). I varnish the beads with
      Triple Thick brush on varnish - one coat is all it takes.

      Why not order a mixed bag of beads to get your students started? They
      would make their own beads to add to the ones they pick from the Bead
      for Life collection. If you make the strands long enough, you don't
      need any jewelry findings. Watch Hobby Lobby (or other craft stores)
      for 1/2 price sales on seed beads (or spend more and buy African Trade
      beads -- smile).

      Thanks for sharing the site, Jan.

      P.S. As always.... remember to remove member email addresses in your
      replies before you click "Send".