Great book! African Beads: Jewels of a Continent

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2011
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I have been buying African art and beads from Africa Direct for many
      years. Today my book arrived, African Beads: Jewels of a Continent. It
      is beautiful! This is a book produced by Africa Direct. Visit their
      site: http://www.africadirect.com/

      From their site:
      African Beads: Jewels of a Continent is the first book dedicated
      exclusively to African-made beads. In detailed chapters organized by
      material (bone and shell, wood and amber, stone, metal, and glass)
      authors Evelyn Simak and Carl Dreibelbis trace the historical journal
      of bead making in Africa. The text is prefaced with an introduction by
      bead expert Lois Sherr Dubin and accompanied by 163 color photographs.
      African Beads is a showcase for some of the rarest, most beautiful and
      most collectible beads in the world...
      --------------------------
      This is a good sized book and full of high quality photos. It is a
      little pricey (now on sale for $59.95). I know they sell them for a
      bit less on eBay (starting bid was $49.95) - so.... Since you are
      buying for your school library, contact Eliza and see what she can do
      for you.

      Some other books produced by Africa Direct:

      Yoruba: An Art of Life--New African Art Book
      Zulu Beadwork: Talk with Beads
      Kuba Textiles & Design by Elizabeth S. Bennett and Niangi Batulukisi Ph.D

      In time, I will purchase the rest of their books - especially the Kuba
      Textiles as Eliza is one of the authors. I will ask her to write
      something inside for me.

      I really like buying from Africa Direct. I am a "small potatoes"
      buyer, but they treat me like royalty (smile). Much of the money is
      given right back to Africa to help the artisans. I like being able to
      help them this way. - plus I get gorgeous stuff!

      I am posting this because so many only think of masks when planning
      lessons for Africa Art. There is so much more beauty. My own Tip In
      pages for the current exchange "Behind the Mask" is turning into
      "Beyond the Mask" - with everyone getting a little surprise from me
      direct from Africa - it will be "like Christmas".

      Future Tip Ins will feature more of my African Art objects. The
      current one features a gorgeous Baule Peacock Mask. The previous one
      featured some lost wax cast pendants and my verdite (a dark green
      stone) elephants - plus images "borrowed" from Africa Direct ("Fair
      Use" in my book).

      As always, if you post a reply, remember to remove my email address
      before you click "send". Your efforts to remove member email addresses
      reduces the amount of Spam we receive.