Ceramic painting

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2011
    Hi,
    I am attaching some images of ceramic tile painting class that I did with my students.I used regular white coloured ceramic tiles ( 8" x 4 " size)The children first drew with a dark soft pencil their sketches of what they wanted to paint on the tiles.This was necessary becuase they cannot draw with out using the eraser.So I let them have the comfort of doing that.Once the drawing was ready I let them use Ceramic paints to colour their images.After painting they outlined the images with black permanent marker pens.

    These paints get fixed onto the tile if baked in a regular oven for 15 minutes at 150 degrees F.I take the tiles home and bring them back after heating them in my kitchen oven(I use the old fashoined oven not the microwave).Once this is done the paint does not wash off even if water is used on it.Ofcourse you are not going to use the scrubber on it!!

    It is not as professional as Padilla's website works but enough for students to have fun painting on tiles.I worked with 3th and 4th grade students on this project.

    Kamla,
    Chennai,India

  • Wanda
    Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2011
      Were the tiles matt or glossed glazed prior to painting? Just wondering
      how gloss glazed tiles would do. Wanda
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, kamla ravikumar <kamla_rk@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am attaching some images of ceramic tile painting class that I did
      with my
      > students.I used regular white coloured ceramic tiles ( 8" x 4 "
      size)The
      > children first drew with a dark soft pencil their sketches of what
      they wanted
      > to paint on the tiles.This was necessary becuase they cannot draw with
      out using
      > the eraser.So I let them have the comfort of doing that.Once the
      drawing was
      > ready I let them use Ceramic paints to colour their images.After
      painting they
      > outlined the images with black permanent marker pens.
      >
      > These paints get fixed onto the tile if baked in a regular oven for 15
      minutes
      > at 150 degrees F.I take the tiles home and bring them back after
      heating them in
      > my kitchen oven(I use the old fashoined oven not the microwave).Once
      this is
      > done the paint does not wash off even if water is used on it.Ofcourse
      you are
      > not going to use the scrubber on it!!
      >
      > It is not as professional as Padilla's website works but enough for
      students to
      > have fun painting on tiles.I worked with 3th and 4th grade students on
      this
      > project.
      >
      > Kamla,
      > Chennai,India

    • padillapost
      Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2011
        Thanks to the compliment to my work, Kamla and of course student work would not be expected to look like that of mine, a professional. [giggle]. The project, and the personal task of your hauling tiles back and forth to bake in your home oven speaks to the commitment of art teachers. I liked that long format tile you used. Had not seen that size before.

        Cynthia, artist in residence.
        Tile Murals: http://tilemurals.blogspot.com/