Re: Teaching High School

  • NEC
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2011
      Hi Jon,
      I have taught art in 4 different schools, in 3 different states and all
      grade levels. Each grade level is different with their own pros and
      cons. This is my 28th year of teaching art. I have been teaching 7-12th
      grade for the last 18 years. I earned my Masters in Admin. and I am a
      National Board Certified Teacher. I've enjoyed teaching art and I am
      looking forward to retirement in the near future.

      First of all, you have to decide what age group you like better...then
      go with that decision. How do you know what you like better if you never
      had tried it??? For many years I would have told you that I perferred Jr
      High students because of their enthusiasm to try anything. I enjoyed
      elementary the least - it just wasn't my thing. But once I taught high
      school I knew this is where I needed to be. There is a lot of
      differences between grades 9 - 12th; it's a delight to see them change,
      develop and mature.

      Over the years, I have been fortunate to have established some lifelong
      friendships with former students (many who have gone on to careers in
      art). You just don't get that with teaching the younger ones. I love the
      work the older students produce and they often seem to challenge my
      artistic insight. I think you would find a deep personal satifaction in
      working with the older kids. Plus, it's good (and I might add, rare) to
      share the "real life" experience that you have as a working artist with
      the young adults.

      Good luck and God Bless.

      Noel
    • modigliani27
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2011
        Amber, Alexa, and Noel.

        Thank you very much for your thoughts. I think, in my heart, it's high school what I've been looking for -- because of all of the things you mentioned. It's made my choice a little bit easier.

        I also got contacted for a first interview today. :-)

        Jon