Re: Cigar Box Project Suggestions????

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hello:

      I think that these would make great photo boxes. A few dividers for 4x6's and some glued-i ribbon to allow for easy removal of the photos would be great.

      Not sure what the lingering tobacco smoke might do to the photos though!

      A photo (or multiple photos) could be glued to the front and coated with Mod Podge or similar product, similar to the way they've done it on this how-to:
      http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/handmade-photo-cube/

      All the best,

      Andrew

      Andrew Darlow
      Editor, The Imaging Buffet
      http://www.imagingbuffet.com
      Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
      An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
      and
      Pet Photography 101:
      Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ktjoy02" <k8schneider814@...> wrote:

      > Hello and happy new year to all!!
      > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible art project.
      > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
      > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help :)

    • Wanda
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2011
        My students used smaller cigarillo boxes and made faux metalic treasure
        boxes. They cut cardboard shapes such as hearts, stars, musical notes,
        etc. some even had a theme, they glued the shapes onto the top and four
        sides of the box. The next step was to glue lightly crumpled aluminum
        foil around the sides of the box and on the top pressing around the
        shapes. I gave then q-tips to press the aluminum foil around the shape
        edges as sometimes their fingers were too large and tore the aluminum.
        Then they added acrylic paint to the foil, one side at a time, then
        wiped it away leaving the paint in the folds and wrinkles of the
        crumpled foil. They painted the edges of the bx that was still showing
        and the inside of the box. Most used black, my example was black, while
        some chose other colors. I have also used this same lesson to make faux
        jewelryou would like to see an exampley, students were given a small
        disc of cardboard they added raised cardboard images to the disc a paper
        clip at the top covered with aluminum foil aged with acrylic let dry add
        a black ribbon or yard using the paperclip as the fixing and you have a
        piece of jewelry. Even the boys like this one, one made a mickey mouse
        face that was a hit. I can post pictures if you are interested. Wanda
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <ad@...> wrote:

        > Hello:
        >
        > I think that these would make great photo boxes. A few dividers for
        4x6's and some glued-i ribbon to allow for easy removal of the photos
        would be great.

        > Not sure what the lingering tobacco smoke might do to the photos
        though!

        > A photo (or multiple photos) could be glued to the front and coated
        with Mod Podge or similar product, similar to the way they've done it on
        this how-to:
        > http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/handmade-photo-cube/
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > Andrew
        >
        > Andrew Darlow
        > Editor, The Imaging Buffet
        > http://www.imagingbuffet.com
        > Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
        > An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers -
        http://www.inkjettips.com
        > and
        > Pet Photography 101:
        > Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat -
        http://www.PhotoPetTips.com

        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ktjoy02" k8schneider814@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello and happy new year to all!!
        > > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible
        art project.
        > > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat
        suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
        > > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your
        help :)

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2011
           The help to divide the larger box into compartments like Nevelson does.

          I would respectively disagree that Nevelson divided her compartments. Cornell did, but Nevelson usually used the entire box and the frame of the box was her only division not made by objects. She has many pieces that are made of multiple boxes, that look divided, but each box is it's own compartment.
          In fact, most of those large multiple boxed pieces aren't connected. I got the ultimate joy of an admirer - to help assemble a one woman retrospective of her for a nice local art museum. I can say with confidence that they are not compartmentalized. :)

          One more idea for the boxes- the incredible art department had a great way to study artist- gift boxes. Each child had to study an artist and create a gift box that had three objects the artist would like. My kids decoupaged the boxes with replicas of the artists work. I even learned things about the artists!
          Regards,
          Brandy
        • Kathleen Maledon
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2011
            using metal tape works really well.... get it at Handy Man.  i hear there is a gold tape, too, used by gardeners,
            but I haven't been able to find it, not know of anyone else who has heard about it.  k