Cigar Boxes - look up Joseph Cornell

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2011
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I have used Joseph Cornell as inspiration for all age groups. Cigar
      boxes make wonderful shadow boxes. Before you cover them, I recommend
      that you reinforce the lid on both sides with clear tape. You can
      cover the out side (and inside) with any kind of paper/paper mache -
      or paint.

      Personal shrines is another approach (any number of cultures for
      inspiration can work - I used Hispanic - Mexico and South America.
      Check out Peruvian Retablos (I own several - all on religious themes).
      I had no problem sharing my retablos with students (public schools).
      It is all on how you approach it. The Peruvian retablos are about
      culture as much as religion. The little scenes also represent the
      market place, landscape and such. Novica has some very affordable ones
      to give you an idea. I think SERRV still has their Noah's Ark on sale
      (I love mine!) - very low price now. Students create personal shrines
      about themselves. If their own religion sneaks into it - then that is
      OK, too.

      There is a Peruvian artist (now living in Florida, I think) who shows
      at Ann Arbor Art Fair each year.. Hubby and I are kicking ourselves
      for not buying a retablo the first year we saw him. His prices have
      skyrocketed. He is very popular now. We can't afford even the smallest
      one now.... So my Ten Thousand Villages and SERRV Retablos make a nice
      substitute. I bought my first retablo many years ago on clearance at
      Pier 1 (they just didn't sell around here.... never could figure out
      why - My "Villages" one was on clearance as well. Both of those are
      sweet Nativity scenes). I have a Novica one saved in my "Wish List".

      I have written extensively about both of these ideas in the past - on
      this list and Getty list. Maybe if you Google, some of my posts will
      come up. Last I tried the search of this list, it wasn't working
      properly - but you could see if they fixed the glitches.

      Best wishes,