Cigar Box Project Suggestions????

  • ktjoy02
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hello and happy new year to all!!
      I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible art project.
      I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
      Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help :)
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hello:

        I think that these would make great photo boxes. A few dividers for 4x6's and some glued-i ribbon to allow for easy removal of the photos would be great.

        Not sure what the lingering tobacco smoke might do to the photos though!

        A photo (or multiple photos) could be glued to the front and coated with Mod Podge or similar product, similar to the way they've done it on this how-to:
        http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/handmade-photo-cube/

        All the best,

        Andrew

        Andrew Darlow
        Editor, The Imaging Buffet
        http://www.imagingbuffet.com
        Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
        An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
        and
        Pet Photography 101:
        Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com

      • lindwood@prodigy.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
          We have made Louise Nevelson walls out of cigar boxes filled with all sorts of stuff. We had white boxes, so we collected white junk. They looked awesome when all put together.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ktjoy02" <k8schneider814@...> wrote:

          > Hello and happy new year to all!!
          > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible art project.
          > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
          > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help :)

        • Brandy
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
            Nevelson is one of my favorite artist and all the kids tend to be happy with their creations inspired by her. And they look stunning. It is a LOT of work on your part to prepaint all those little items. Not hard or expensive (get used house paint and mix it all together), but time consuming. I do it about every three years.
            Cornell boxes would be another one. This one was a grab bag on whether the kids got into or not. About 3/4 of my kids were super excited and had great boxes. The last 1/4 didn't feel it, and their boxes weren't completed fully.
            Making Mexican day of the dead boxes would be cool project. In the past, my kids have loved that stuff. Once in a while, I get a complaint from a parent on the subject matter, but I try to communicate my intentions, the purposes of the boxes and understanding other cultures. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I just get scolded for it.
            I haven't done this (as it just occurred to me) but "body boxes". The kids could decorate the outside by adding a head, limbs and clothes, then open the box to reveal their organs. Maybe you could collaborate with the science or health teacher to work those in at the same time. You could pair it with the painter, Alex Grey. (He's an inside out artist, but obviously you'll have to be selective. Try Alex Grey "Guitar"; That's good one.)
            Have fun,
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "lindwood@..." <lindwood@...> wrote:

            > We have made Louise Nevelson walls out of cigar boxes filled with all sorts of stuff. We had white boxes, so we collected white junk. They looked awesome when all put together.
            >

            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ktjoy02" <k8schneider814@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello and happy new year to all!!
            > > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible art project.
            > > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
            > > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help :)

          • Vanessa Latour
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
              Doing Louis Nevelson projects is a great idea for using up cigar boxes or shoe boxes.  When I do this project with my students, I have them bring in items that are small and will fit in the box.  I make sure to tell them no glass and to encourage them to bring in a variety of items that will glue well with Elmers (nothing too heavy).

               I also save a lot of smaller boxes from jewelry, small gifts, etc. and have my students do the same. The help to divide the larger box into compartments like Nevelson does. As an art teacher, I'm always saving items that would normally be thrown away for this project and have the school community do the same. I just keep boxes by the doors for things like-drink caps, small containers, altoid/mint tins, broken markers/pens, empty glue sticks, old puzzle/game pieces, small scraps or wood, broken toy parts, computer/technology parts...basically anything that isn't sharp, dangerous or glass can go in the boxes. I do put things that can get wet into a big tub of bleach just to kill germs, especially on drink caps, they are one of the most germy items in the whole school. I do not have to paint all the items one color myself like a previous poster suggested.

              Instead I have the students take their time choosing objects and arranging them in their box or boxes. I have them make careful choices about balance, repetition, rhythm...etc. and have students reflect on their peers' arrangements of items before everything is glued down.  We use Elmers and lots of it. These are set aside to dry--storage can be an issue here, we usually get permission to put them outside the room in the hall.  The next class students choose ONE color to paint their boxes, inside and out, making sure they get in all crevices. I recommend if they choose a color that's a bit translucent that they add white to it so it covers better.  Most choose black or white. I display these in the hall so that similar colors are grouped together.  They look amazing together and get so many compliments. Students love identifying the various objects hidden in the boxes.
              Hope this helps,
              Vanessa
              Nevelson is one of my favorite artist and all the kids tend to be happy with their creations inspired by her. And they look stunning. It is a LOT of work on your part to prepaint all those little items. Not hard or expensive (get used house paint and mix it all together), but time consuming. I do it about every three years.
              Cornell boxes would be another one. This one was a grab bag on whether the kids got into or not. About 3/4 of my kids were super excited and had great boxes. The last 1/4 didn't feel it, and their boxes weren't completed fully.
              Making Mexican day of the dead boxes would be cool project. In the past, my kids have loved that stuff. Once in a while, I get a complaint from a parent on the subject matter, but I try to communicate my intentions, the purposes of the boxes and understanding other cultures. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I just get scolded for it.
              I haven't done this (as it just occurred to me) but "body boxes". The kids could decorate the outside by adding a head, limbs and clothes, then open the box to reveal their organs. Maybe you could collaborate with the science or health teacher to work those in at the same time. You could pair it with the painter, Alex Grey. (He's an inside out artist, but obviously you'll have to be selective. Try Alex Grey "Guitar"; That's good one.)
              Have fun,
              Brandy

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "lindwood@..." <lindwood@...> wrote:

              > We have made Louise Nevelson walls out of cigar boxes filled with all sorts of stuff. We had white boxes, so we collected white junk. They looked awesome when all put together.
              >

              > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ktjoy02" <k8schneider814@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello and happy new year to all!!
              > > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible art project.
              > > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
              > > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help :)

            • Hillmer, Jan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011

                Years ago I had students create a ‘treasure box’ of a character that they portrayed in the play (they were simultaneously preparing for a play in Drama class.)  I did a brief intro about the history of the country during the time the play took place.  Then we also brainstormed about what kind of person their character was, what kinds of things they might have collected or saved.  Since the play took place during the Western expansion, we had lots of cowboys, etc.  One kid wanted a bullet hole in the top of his box.  His eyes got huge when I got out hammer and nails and a small file and said, “Get to work!”

                A similar vein could work with characters from a book, or, heck, any famous group of people.

                Jan in Tampa

                > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com,
                "ktjoy02" <k8schneider814@> wrote:

                > > Hello and happy new year to all!!
                > > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible
                art project.
                > > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat suggestions
                for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
                > > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your
                help :)

              • kierendutcher
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Louise Nevelson abstract sculpture, spray painted all one color, dioramas around any topic you can think of: scene from a fave. story, the ocean, landscape where you'd like to be, your bedroom, etc..., treasure boxes collaged with photos, Mod Podge.
                  Have fun!
                  Kieren

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ktjoy02" <k8schneider814@...> wrote:

                  > Hello and happy new year to all!!
                  > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible art project.
                  > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
                  > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help :)

                • Wanda
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2011
                    My students used smaller cigarillo boxes and made faux metalic treasure
                    boxes. They cut cardboard shapes such as hearts, stars, musical notes,
                    etc. some even had a theme, they glued the shapes onto the top and four
                    sides of the box. The next step was to glue lightly crumpled aluminum
                    foil around the sides of the box and on the top pressing around the
                    shapes. I gave then q-tips to press the aluminum foil around the shape
                    edges as sometimes their fingers were too large and tore the aluminum.
                    Then they added acrylic paint to the foil, one side at a time, then
                    wiped it away leaving the paint in the folds and wrinkles of the
                    crumpled foil. They painted the edges of the bx that was still showing
                    and the inside of the box. Most used black, my example was black, while
                    some chose other colors. I have also used this same lesson to make faux
                    jewelryou would like to see an exampley, students were given a small
                    disc of cardboard they added raised cardboard images to the disc a paper
                    clip at the top covered with aluminum foil aged with acrylic let dry add
                    a black ribbon or yard using the paperclip as the fixing and you have a
                    piece of jewelry. Even the boys like this one, one made a mickey mouse
                    face that was a hit. I can post pictures if you are interested. Wanda
                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <ad@...> wrote:

                    > Hello:
                    >
                    > I think that these would make great photo boxes. A few dividers for
                    4x6's and some glued-i ribbon to allow for easy removal of the photos
                    would be great.

                    > Not sure what the lingering tobacco smoke might do to the photos
                    though!

                    > A photo (or multiple photos) could be glued to the front and coated
                    with Mod Podge or similar product, similar to the way they've done it on
                    this how-to:
                    > http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/handmade-photo-cube/
                    >
                    > All the best,
                    >
                    > Andrew
                    >
                    > Andrew Darlow
                    > Editor, The Imaging Buffet
                    > http://www.imagingbuffet.com
                    > Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
                    > An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers -
                    http://www.inkjettips.com
                    > and
                    > Pet Photography 101:
                    > Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat -
                    http://www.PhotoPetTips.com

                    > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ktjoy02" k8schneider814@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello and happy new year to all!!
                    > > I was just given about 100+ really nice cigar boxes for a possible
                    art project.
                    > > I was wondering if any of you creative art teachers had any neat
                    suggestions for them? I teach 5th and 6th grade...
                    > > Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your
                    help :)

                  • Brandy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2011
                       The help to divide the larger box into compartments like Nevelson does.

                      I would respectively disagree that Nevelson divided her compartments. Cornell did, but Nevelson usually used the entire box and the frame of the box was her only division not made by objects. She has many pieces that are made of multiple boxes, that look divided, but each box is it's own compartment.
                      In fact, most of those large multiple boxed pieces aren't connected. I got the ultimate joy of an admirer - to help assemble a one woman retrospective of her for a nice local art museum. I can say with confidence that they are not compartmentalized. :)

                      One more idea for the boxes- the incredible art department had a great way to study artist- gift boxes. Each child had to study an artist and create a gift box that had three objects the artist would like. My kids decoupaged the boxes with replicas of the artists work. I even learned things about the artists!
                      Regards,
                      Brandy
                    • Kathleen Maledon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 14, 2011
                        using metal tape works really well.... get it at Handy Man.  i hear there is a gold tape, too, used by gardeners,
                        but I haven't been able to find it, not know of anyone else who has heard about it.  k