claymation

  • Sheba
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 18, 2010
      I am doing claymation with my middle school students right now. We use pipe cleaners, foil and tape along with wadded up newsprint for bulk. paper clips for feet. once the character can stand on its own then I give them clay to cover. I have a whole set of fruit men, egg men and cereal men that will be dancing their way in front of the cameras after winter break.

      I like the idea of foam and curlers though and might add those to our box of tricks for next time.

      I will be sure to share the results with you all.

      Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted creative visionary"
      My Triathlon/Fitness Blog http://shebaduhkitty.sweat365.com/
    • judy
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 18, 2010
        I am curous about how you do the photography for the claymation? Do you use a camera or the computer? How many are doing the project and do they do it as a group? Any other info you can share would be greatly appreciated.
        Judy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Sheba <shebaduhkitty@...> wrote:

        > I am doing claymation with my middle school students right now. We use pipe
        > cleaners, foil and tape along with wadded up newsprint for bulk. paper clips for
        > feet. once the character can stand on its own then I give them clay to cover. I
        > have a whole set of fruit men, egg men and cereal men that will be dancing their
        > way in front of the cameras after winter break.
        >

        > I like the idea of foam and curlers though and might add those to our box of
        > tricks for next time.
        >

        > I will be sure to share the results with you all.
        >
        > Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted creative visionary"
        > My Triathlon/Fitness Blog http://shebaduhkitty.sweat365.com/
        > My Art Blog http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com
        > My School Blog http://www.thevirtualclassroom.org

      • marisa
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 18, 2010
          Hi. I do a lot of stop motion animation with youth. I usually use a
          video camera attached via firewire to a computer and put the camera on
          a tripod (that's really an important part because you want the camera
          to stay still while the characters move). I participated in writing
          some tutorials for doing this and you can access them at
          http://essentials.youthvoices.adobe.com/ .. you have to sign up to
          access tutorial materials but they are totally free.

          Here is a list of some animation resources.

          Mac and PC

          Scratch is a free programming language that makes it easy to create
          your own interactive stories,
          animations, games, music, and art -- and share your creations on the
          web. Scratch works on a Mac or a
          PC and was developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
          http://scratch.mit.edu/

          Mac

          iStopMotion for Mac costs $49 and is available from www.boinx.com

          FrameByFrame is a simple and very decent freeware stop motion program
          for Macs. It even has onion-
          skinning!

          You can also use a digital still camera to create simple stop motion
          using iPhoto and iMovie (both of
          which come standard on all Macs). There aren't as many options
          available, but it's free! Here's a tutorial:

          http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/stop-motion-digital-camera/

          PC

          For PC users, Premiere Elements is an affordable, entry-level editing
          software that includes a built-in
          stop motion animation program. (Price approx $65).

          Helium Frog is a freeware stop motion program for PC's and is
          available for download here:

          http://www.stopmotionmagic.com/helium/
        • lindwood@prodigy.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 19, 2010
            I will be interested to see your productions, Cynthia. Thanks for sharing. We make our feet out of solid clay formed around wire loops. Yes, their feet look pretty big, but it adds humor, and they don't fall over. The plastic curlers were an amazing surprise. They did work pretty well. Might stick with those or styrofoam with added aluminum wire for arms and lets this year that passes through the rollers. Putting the heads on a LONG toothpick that sticks down into the middle of the curler or styrofoam worked well for us last year.

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 19, 2010
              My kids work in groups of 4. They plan a storyboard together, do a little sketching for characters, are limited to 2 or 3 characters max. One is even fine. Then they build the armatures, put the colored plasticene clay over the armatures, and construct the SIMPLE sets - We gesson the back of a cardboard box that can stand up on it's own and paint the background, and a piece of paper is taped to the table as their floor or grass, etc. each time they shoot. We tape that down to the table in exactly the same place each time we shoot. The cameras (4 are on little tripods taped to a sheet of cardboard. The tables are temporarily marked with sharpie where the cardboard goes each time. This year, my kids will learn to use the camera, learn to do some basic things in photoshop elements (brighten if necessary, remove barbeque skewers that we use to make things levitate with the clone tool, perhaps add some text here and there. They write a script, shoot their scenes, and then they rotate through the jobs. After shooting they learn to upload to the computer. each laptop in the classroom is on their desk while they film and edit. After shooting, someone learns to do the ediitng in photoshop if necessary and then dumps the pictures into Pinnacle Video Spin movie editor software. They learn to use Audacity for their sound. We download free music if they want, and music and talking can be spliced together in Audacity. No one is to go over 2 minutes. They learn how to loop some of their shots instead of taking the same shots over and over (like for a hand wave, or head shake, etc.) One group made a dog's tail wag last year with two shots repeated over and over. AThe whole project is expected to take about 9 weeks. I did ALL of this by myself last year, but this year, our tech person is going to help me!!!! YES LORD. We also did it the last 7 weeks of school last year. I knew we had to do it, we just decided LATE in the year to go for it. This year, it will be in January. Yea!
              Hope this helps. Oh, and I show them some good examples of animation shorts, like WAestern Spaghetti by Pez, and he has other good examples on his site. One even explains how he made one of his shorts. Google Western Spaghetti and you will find it.
              Linda

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "judy" <bluemoon@...> wrote:

              > I am curous about how you do the photography for the claymation? Do you use a camera or the computer? How many are doing the project and do they do it as a group? Any other info you can share would be greatly appreciated.
              > Judy
              >
              > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Sheba <shebaduhkitty@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am doing claymation with my middle school students right now. We use pipe
              > > cleaners, foil and tape along with wadded up newsprint for bulk. paper clips for
              > > feet. once the character can stand on its own then I give them clay to cover. I
              > > have a whole set of fruit men, egg men and cereal men that will be dancing their
              > > way in front of the cameras after winter break.
              > >

              > > I like the idea of foam and curlers though and might add those to our box of
              > > tricks for next time.
              > >

              > > I will be sure to share the results with you all.
              > >
              > > Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted creative visionary"
              > > My Triathlon/Fitness Blog http://shebaduhkitty.sweat365.com/
              > > My Art Blog http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com
              > > My School Blog http://www.thevirtualclassroom.org

            • Raylene Wilkinson
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 18, 2011
              hi everyone,

              i participated in a conversation here about using claymation in primary or elementary schools and i had only half a story that i promised to finish and i've only now got all the info to share.   I've attached a sample of student work in this email and will attach two photos in a further email.  one of the 'grabber' i discussed and one of a pull back of the scene of the set up to complete.  please keep in mind these are a first try with this group and very simple.   the focus was sustainability for this attempt and it's worth a few looks to see the whole story the girls have created here.  in hindsight, it would have been better to take a few more photos of those moments so i wouldn't have to point them out to people..... :D enjoy!