Re: [art_education] VALUE- Element of art

  • christine alexander
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2010
    One of my favorite lessons is teaching students how to draw and shade. I do value scales using all types of techniques, hatching, cross hatching, scrumbling, and stippling. Mix it up a bit. I give them a hand out on all of this and different types of lines. Lots of internet resourses for it.
    Then I start the lesson; it is one object with 8 different views on it. Example of views: birds eye, macro, bottom, top and so on (only one full view). Split the drawing area into 8 different sections.
    Anyway the objective of this lesson is to get the students drawing and shading. They really have to look at the object and notice the light and dark areas. They have to use all the techniques in the drawing and not just one of them. It makes the fianl so interesting.
    When they are done I look for solid blacks and whites and all the shades in between.
    Then I talk about background and how to fill it in. One girl did a purse so her back ground she did patterns from the inside materials of diff purses. One boy did a tie so he drew buttons to fill in the entire background. It seems like to much, but the background goes fast because they are so connected to the drawing at this point.
    I attached my example before the background and after. I also attached one students work. He didn't follow directions and use all of the techniques. He is an exchange student and not listening did hurt his grade a bit.
    Personally I think monsters are fun for elementary kids and that rare high schooler. This age likes music and gadgets. What a great way to get to know your students by letting them choose their object and seeing where it will go.
    Good luck,
    Christine