Re: [art_education] Art History Boxes

  • Diane Gregory
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2010
      Hi Kathleen,

      These Art History boxes were very popular during the height of DBAE.  Generally, a large box with a handle was created (18 x 24 x 5).  There is no reason you can not use a smaller box or a shoe box.  Use what you have.  It is actually a very hands on way to study a work of art.  Essential the teacher or students create an art history box.  Teachers or students find a reproduction of a work of art they want to share.  They look for items that are in the picture and place those objects in the box.  It can almost be anything that relates to the work or is in the work.  Such as Mary Cassatt's painting of the Opera can have Opera glasses or the text of the review of the Opera, or a newspaper article about the Opera itself from that time.  It can literally have almost anything.  The idea is to make the 2D work of art more of an object that students can relate to.  If it is a still life, it can have similar objects in the box.  It makes studying the work of art or learning about the work of art more fun.  And, it can be shared with others.

      Some museum bring out art boxes, provide white cloves so that students can pick up the work and examine the objects.  It brings the art alive.

      It might be fun to create a list of works of art that would be good for this strategy.

      Hope this helps.

      Diane

      many museums have backpacks for this purpose...maybe you can pursue

      this angle and get some help.  going to the museum where the art is hung now should be helpful k
      On Dec 2, 2010, at 12:22 PM, aliteachesart wrote:

      Hi All!

      Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4