Re: [art_education] Digest Number 3331

  • Vivi KL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2010
      We are voting for you MaryAnn daily.
      Good luck!
      Peace, Love and Hope Project, Canada
      http://pep.si/9a0pwP

      On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:08 AM, <art_education@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Messages In This Digest (14 Messages)

      1.
      Pepsi grant From: kamla ravikumar
      2a.
      Art History Boxes From: aliteachesart
      2b.
      Re: Art History Boxes From: Misty Burright
      2c.
      Re: Art History Boxes From: Jeff Pridie
      3a.
      Art for Others From: ktjoy02
      3b.
      Re: Art for Others From: amy friedman
      3c.
      Re: Art for Others From: marisa
      3d.
      Re: Art for Others From: Misty Burright
      4a.
      Help MaryAnn bring art to teachers around the country From: MARYANN KOHL
      4b.
      Re: Help MaryAnn bring art to teachers around the country From: MARYANN KOHL
      5a.
      Art Teacher IPhone App From: marisa
      5b.
      Re: Art Teacher IPhone App From: Ken
      5c.
      Re: iPhone Ap From: Diane Gregory
      6.
      Operation '1 is to 10' to boost museum visits From: Musa Heritage Gallery

      Messages

      1.

      Pepsi grant

      Posted by: "kamla ravikumar" kamla_rk@...   kamla_rk

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 6:59 am (PST)

      Hi Mary,

      All my best wishes for you to win the Pepsi grant.
      Can teachers from out of the US vote for you?

      Kamla,
      Chennai,India

      2a.

      Art History Boxes

      Posted by: "aliteachesart" abenton@...   aliteachesart

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 11:22 am (PST)

      Hi All!

      Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4

      2b.

      Re: Art History Boxes

      Posted by: "Misty Burright" misty.burright@...   mistybugs

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 12:09 pm (PST)

      you got me thinking although I haven't made these myself but I found this website from a museum to give you (and me) ideas!

      http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/education/study.php

      Misty
      On Dec 2, 2010, at 1:22 PM, aliteachesart wrote:

      Hi All!

      Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4

      *******
      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the St. Joseph School District or the entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager and delete this message immediately. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not distribute or copy this e-mail.
      2c.

      Re: Art History Boxes

      Posted by: "Jeff Pridie" jeffpridie@...   jeffpridie

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 12:10 pm (PST)

      The boxes could be of Artist, Art Periods, Cultures. Putting small information
      cards, images, timelines, for students to review. What is nice also is nice if
      you can put tactile materials in the boxes also, raw wool, clay pieces, wood
      pieces etc. for students to feel. This is also a great project for students in
      high school to make for elementary students.

      Jeff (Minnesota)

      Hi All!

      Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought
      I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard
      size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4

      3a.

      Art for Others

      Posted by: "ktjoy02" k8schneider814@...   ktjoy02

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 11:41 am (PST)

      Help! I am in need of some clever ideas to raise money through child made art.
      Cradles to Crayons is a non-profit organization that collects and distributes essentials to children in the Philadelphia area. http://philadelphia.cradlestocrayons.org/
      I am a volunteer there and I thought it would be a great idea to get my students involved with their art. My plan is to have an art show in their giving factory and hold a silent art auction to raise funds for the organization.

      My question for the group: what are some inexpensive projects that you think people will want to pay $$ for?
      My students are in 5th and 6th grade and are very excited to help other children in need through their art!
      Thank you in advance for any suggestions:)

      3b.

      Re: Art for Others

      Posted by: "amy friedman" amyfriedman01@...   amyfriedman01

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 11:46 am (PST)

      look at www.artwarebyyou.com
      great way to easily raise funds with children's art~
      amy friedman

      Help! I am in need of some clever ideas to raise money through child made art.
      Cradles to Crayons is a non-profit organization that collects and distributes essentials to children in the Philadelphia area. http://philadelphia.cradlestocrayons.org/
      I am a volunteer there and I thought it would be a great idea to get my students involved with their art. My plan is to have an art show in their giving factory and hold a silent art auction to raise funds for the organization.

      My question for the group: what are some inexpensive projects that you think people will want to pay $$ for?
      My students are in 5th and 6th grade and are very excited to help other children in need through their art!
      Thank you in advance for any suggestions:)

      3c.

      Re: Art for Others

      Posted by: "marisa" asiramv@...   marisa_1s

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 9:29 pm (PST)

      I just did a project with a group I work with making clocks. You can
      buy the works at American Science and Surplus for $3, then you need a
      battery. You can put clock parts on a lot of things, I've done books,
      records, art and a few other things. In this case I had the children
      paint used CDs with 2 coats of acrylic paint (a bit treacherous but
      hey!) and then after they dried we used pins to scratch into them and
      make designs (and the numbers). It's a fun activity and a usable
      object involving reuse. I think it'll be a crowd pleaser.

      good luck,
      marisa in Seattle

      3d.

      Re: Art for Others

      Posted by: "Misty Burright" misty.burright@...   mistybugs

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 9:30 pm (PST)

      a great tool is www.artsonia.com<http://www.artsonia.com>..it's free to belong! Parents get an access code and just order directly from the site, then artsonia mails you your cut!
      On Dec 2, 2010, at 1:41 PM, ktjoy02 wrote:

[...]

      Posted by: "MARYANN KOHL" maryann@...   kohl.maryann

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 4:42 pm (PST)

      Hi, Everyone.

      Today is Day 2 of the voting process at Pepsi Refresh Everything grant
      program.
      As you may know, I'm hoping to win dollars to fund giving art
      workshops all around the country in schools where there are no art
      programs, to help teachers learn to easily bring quality art
      experiences into their classrooms.

      I just found out that not only can you vote at the Pepsi site, but you
      can *easily* text a vote without even signing up with Pepsi. The nice
      thing about the text is that you don't have to sign up with Pepsi, and
      you can text everyday if you wish to so much easier than going online.

      TELL YOUR FRIENDS WHO CARE ABOUT KIDS AND ART!! And thank you with
      all my heart.
      Below are the voting parameters. The text numbers are at the bottom of
      the email.

      ----------To vote, go here----------

      http://www.refresheverything.com/greatartkids
      or
      http://pep.si/h7KG2o

      Apparently you have to "sign up" before you are allowed to vote.

      If you can't find my proposal, just do a search in the search box with
      my name MaryAnn F. Kohl
      My grant is called ::: Bring hands-on art to kids who have no art
      programs in their schools
      I'm in the EDUCATION category.

      You can also text a vote
      Text these numbers: 104840
      To Pepsi's phone: 73774

      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      MaryAnn
      360.592.9201 office
      maryann@...
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

      4b.

      Re: Help MaryAnn bring art to teachers around the country

      Posted by: "MARYANN KOHL" maryann@...   kohl.maryann

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 5:09 pm (PST)

      Thank you, great idea to give other links to voting for the Pepsi grant:

      Yes, I have a Facebook page, and a blog, and a website with direct
      voting too!~

      My facebook page... easiest is to do a search members of Facebook for
      my name, MaryAnn Faubion Kohl

      My blog : http://maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog/
      My website: http://www.brightring.com

      You can text a vote easily, too.

      Text these numbers: 104840

      And for the phone number, send the text to: 73774 (Pepsi's grant
      voting number)

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

      MaryAnn F. Kohl –
      author of art books for teachers and children
      http://www.brightring.com

      25th Anniversary 1985 – 2010
      Celebrating 25 Years of Bringing Art to Children

      On Dec 2, 2010, at 4:49 PM, Beth Bonow wrote:

      > Do you have a Facebook page? If so, post something there that we
      > can "share" with our friends.

      5a.

      Art Teacher IPhone App

      Posted by: "marisa" asiramv@...   marisa_1s

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 9:29 pm (PST)

      Hi. I am a Seattle Art Teacher. After years of being asked by students
      "what do I do noooooooooow".. I decided to create an Iphone app for
      teachers working with students who want and idea and for artists who
      want to have fun with materials and trying something new.

      My app is currently super duper simple (I'm a teacher, not a
      programmer). 3 categories--Media, Prompt and colors--combine randomly
      and give a person a challenge. It'll get more complicated if there's
      interest and if I dig up some money to pay the tech person. For now,
      if you have an Iphone and a dollar to spend check out my app. It's
      called ArtStart and it is new to the Itunes store this week.

      Let me know what you think!!

      thanks
      marisa

      5b.

      Re: Art Teacher IPhone App

      Posted by: "Ken" kenroar@...   kenroar

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 9:33 pm (PST)

      You forgot to give us a URL to your app, Marisa. Do people just go to the iTunes main page and do a search for ArtStart? If you post a direct link, you might get more takers.

      Ken

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, marisa <asiramv@...> wrote:

      > Hi. I am a Seattle Art Teacher. After years of being asked by students "what do I do noooooooooow".. I decided to create an Iphone app for
      > teachers working with students who want and idea and for artists who
      > want to have fun with materials and trying something new.
      >
      > My app is currently super duper simple (I'm a teacher, not a
      > programmer). 3 categories--Media, Prompt and colors--combine randomly
      > and give a person a challenge. It'll get more complicated if there's
      > interest and if I dig up some money to pay the tech person. For now,
      > if you have an Iphone and a dollar to spend check out my app. It's
      > called ArtStart and it is new to the Itunes store this week.
      >
      > Let me know what you think!!
      >
      > thanks
      > marisa

      5c.

      Re: iPhone Ap

      Posted by: "Diane Gregory" gregory.diane55@...   gregory.diane55

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 9:45 pm (PST)

      This sounds really cool, Marisa! Congratulations.

      Ken and others,

      When one has an iPhone, one just clicks on Apps and conducts a search using the
      name of the product. Or, one can go to iTunes and do a search for the product,
      as well. Both will work, but if one has an iPhone it is probably just better to
      download it using your phone. One can do a search by category, too. Searching
      for ArtStart would probably be the fastest way to find it.

      I will check it out!

      I am very interested in how you did this. Was this hard to do? What was the
      process that you went through with Apple to have them accept the App? Did this
      take a long time? Would you mind sharing your secrets. Maybe other art
      teachers can do this too? That would be terrific!

      I understand in the newer Macs Apps will be part of the system software. Right
      now I think you can use Mac apps on ipods, iPads and iPhones. Maybe non-Mac
      tools will accept Mac Apps too.

      Congratulations

      Cheers,

      Diane

      Posted by: "Musa Heritage Gallery" musartgallery@...   musartgallery@...

      Thu Dec 2, 2010 11:31 pm (PST)

      On the 18th December, 2010 Mus'Art Gallery 'Grass-fields arts museum' Cameroon shall be 14 years old. We have gone a long way, but there are greater challenges ahead of us. In the pipeline we have a line-up of planned projects:

      1. Starting an artist residency program as from 2011 for foreign artists.
      2. Development of a Folk Music Centre to promote our rich traditional music.
      3. Creation of Spectacle Space to promote performing arts in Kumbo.
      4. Creation of more websites on wordpress to promote the touristic potentials of the Grass-fields region.

      At the level of the museum; we need to fully catalog our collection, undertake renovation on the building, employ a conservator and other permanent staff. We cannot do all this without your support. We are examining possibilities to offer free access to all Kumbo residents. But we need to find possibilities to self-sustain our operations.Any ideas are welcome.
      Within the coming weeks major decisions shall be taken to broaden our membership in our continuous bid to safeguard our work in promoting the arts and culture. We hope you shall all join in this venture. Our advisory board is being enlarged and the new board is expected to begin work as from January 1st, 2011 composed of members from Cameroon, Africa and the diaspora drawn from the corporate sector, academia, museum world, government etc.

      Operation '1 is to 10' is an online drive we have launched to sensitize the public on our museum at this very crucial stage in its life. All you need to do is to introduce our homepage to at least 10 of your friends. If your 10 friends are encouraged to do same, you can imagine what you would have done to spread the message about our work.
      Just endeavor to introduce 10 people to our on-line gateway before the 18th December, 2010. It shall be a great way to join us in celebrating 14 years steadfast committment to heritage preservation.

      Our online gateway is located at http://musart.spruz.com

      Mus'Art Gallery Grass-fields arts museum  Established in 1996

           http://musart.spruz.com

                Bamfem Qtr, P.O Box 21. Kumbo, North West region, Cameroon Phone: +23779372652
      E-mail: musartgallery@...,