Art History Boxes

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hi All!

      Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4
    • Misty Burright
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        you got me thinking although I haven't made these myself but I found this website from a museum to give you (and me) ideas!

        Misty
        On Dec 2, 2010, at 1:22 PM, aliteachesart wrote:

        Hi All!

        Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4

        *******
        This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the St. Joseph School District or the entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager and delete this message immediately. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not distribute or copy this e-mail.

      • Jeff Pridie
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
          The boxes could be of Artist, Art Periods, Cultures.  Putting small information cards, images, timelines, for students to review.  What is nice also is nice if you can put tactile materials in the boxes also, raw wool, clay pieces, wood pieces etc. for students to feel.  This is also a great project for students in high school to make for elementary students.

          Jeff (Minnesota)

          Hi All!

          Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4

        • Kathleen Maledon
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2010
            many museums have backpacks for this purpose...maybe you can pursue
            this angle and get some help.  going to the museum where the art is hung now should be helpful k
            On Dec 2, 2010, at 12:22 PM, aliteachesart wrote:

            Hi All!

            Does anyone have art history boxes? I want to put some together, and thought I'd ask before I start from scratch. I'm thinking a short bio card, postcard size reproductions, maybe a time line or a map... any ideas? Thanks! ALi k-4

          • Diane Gregory
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2010
              Hi Kathleen,

              These Art History boxes were very popular during the height of DBAE.  Generally, a large box with a handle was created (18 x 24 x 5).  There is no reason you can not use a smaller box or a shoe box.  Use what you have.  It is actually a very hands on way to study a work of art.  Essential the teacher or students create an art history box.  Teachers or students find a reproduction of a work of art they want to share.  They look for items that are in the picture and place those objects in the box.  It can almost be anything that relates to the work or is in the work.  Such as Mary Cassatt's painting of the Opera can have Opera glasses or the text of the review of the Opera, or a newspaper article about the Opera itself from that time.  It can literally have almost anything.  The idea is to make the 2D work of art more of an object that students can relate to.  If it is a still life, it can have similar objects in the box.  It makes studying the work of art or learning about the work of art more fun.  And, it can be shared with others.

              Some museum bring out art boxes, provide white cloves so that students can pick up the work and examine the objects.  It brings the art alive.

              It might be fun to create a list of works of art that would be good for this strategy.

              Hope this helps.

              Diane