Re: [art_education] Portfolio preparation

  • brenda
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2010

      Awesome!  Thanks Mary Ann!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...>
      To: * LOOP ART Education <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sat, Nov 13, 2010 6:23 pm
      Subject: Re: [art_education] Portfolio preparation

      I just checked some online tutoring fees, and $35-$65/hour is common.

      On Nov 13, 2010, at 4:22 PM, MARYANN KOHL wrote:

      You can charge by the hour, or, you can charge by the "job" (which is the total fee for getting her ready including materials). I would estimate how many hours you think you will need to do this, and come up with what you think is fair for "the job", including your prep time and materials fee. But easier is by the hour. I would c harge no less than $30/hour for time, and then add materials to that. You might think about what a substitute teacher earns and base your hourly fee on that amount. If you have a lot of prep time, you should tell the parent this, and charge for prep too, or just charge more for the hour to include prep.

      Most of the work will occur in Dec and Jan, say 5 pieces in each month. So that's also important to think about.

      Curious....what do others charge for tutoring? I'll be interested to hear with others say.

      ::::::::::::
      MaryAnn

      On Nov 13, 2010, at 2:53 PM, brenda wrote:

      Hi all:  I have been approached by a pretty affluent parent who's a friend of a friend to tutor her daughter for admittance to an arts magnet high school.  I am wondering what would be a fair amount to charge?  She needs 15 pieces and has maybe 5.  It is due in February and I don't know the best way to go about this.
      I have a good track record with kids getting in but they were at my school.
      Thanks in advance, I need to let her know but want it to be worth it to me.
      Brenda

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2010
        Good luck Kamla! If any of the media in your area covers it, please post a link to the coverage of your exhibit.

        Ken

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, kamla ravikumar <kamla_rk@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Just wanted to know if any of the art teachers in this group have had exhibitions of their paintings.What has been your experience ? I wish you could share them .
        >
        > I am very nervous becuase I am holding an exhibition of my abstract paintings done in mixed media.They will be displayed in a public gallery in an art village in my city ,Chennai, from 4-10 December 2010.This is my 6th exhibition.
        >
        > I don't know how my students and parents will react to my works .They are very excited about it.
        > Wish me luck!!
        >
        > Kamla,
        > Chennai,
        > India

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2010
          It's usually what the market will bear. In my area, I charged $25-40 a session, which was about an hour and half long (once or twice a little longer, once or twice a little shorter). We meet once a week for 8 weeks.
          But it's also about what you're willing to sell your life for. My fees have more to do with how much I'm doing at that time, then a set and always price. When I'm not doing much, $25 seems fine. If I'm already nose deep in time consuming projects, than $40 an hour is what I have charged.
          My2cents,
          Brandy
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, brenda <bruthrobson@...> wrote:

          > Hi all: I have been approached by a pretty affluent parent who's a friend of a friend to tutor her daughter for admittance to an arts magnet high school. I am wondering what would be a fair amount to charge? She needs 15 pieces and has maybe 5. It is due in February and I don't know the best way to go about this.
          > I have a good track record with kids getting in but they were at my school.
          > Thanks in advance, I need to let her know but want it to be worth it to me.
          > Brenda

        • Julia Garnett
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2010
            Good luck, I hope you find it rewarding. I exhibit, enter juried shows, and have a booth at art fairs. I think it gives you credibility with your students. Personally, I think going through the process of developing my art and my business helps me have a better idea of what I need to teach my students. I had a reception today, and I have 2 local exhibits going this month.