Re: Teaching portrait drawing

  • llburoker
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
      Thanks Kathleen,
      Lois

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Maledon <kmaledon@...> wrote:

      > I also spend a period talking about relative measurements. We use
      > mirrors, other people,
      > ditto sheets, etc. The kids are really surprised that as unalike as
      > we are, we are so predictably
      > alike. It's a fun assignment. We do the whole body on that, too.
      > Measuring, comparing and
      > really getting into da vinci. k
      > On Nov 2, 2010, at 6:08 AM, Greg Hogan wrote:
      >

      > > I start out on paper. I break down each part of the portrait.
      > > First we study the eyes and various shapes of eyes, then move on to
      > > noses, ears etc.... I then use a grid to help them with
      > > proportions. Before they start adding the features I discuss the
      > > grid and break down the thirds rule. I found that if you try to
      > > discuss the whole portrait at once it becomes overwhelming for
      > > students. When they study the individual parts they seem to have
      > > more of an understanding when they start putting them together.
      > > Hope this helps.
      > > GHogan

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010
        http://members.cox.net/bergiemoore/face.html
        Here's a generic version of a step by step process.
        I found it invaluable to have a copy of a head with the lines all drawn out the first time and then we added the features one by one. Then we had just an outline of a head, and they drew where the lines would be, twice. Once with me, step by step, and once by themselves so I could see where they needed help. Then we moved onto then drawing the head and features by themselves.
        (I think the nose is too low in the drawing, but not unrealistically so. I actually found it very difficult to do the drawing, take a picture, add the next step, take a picture. And unfortunately, I can't update the page becasue I no longer have a cox account. Good news to me- they didn't canceled my old pages :) So here it is.
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Maledon <kmaledon@...> wrote:

        > I also spend a period talking about relative measurements. We use
        > mirrors, other people,
        > ditto sheets, etc. The kids are really surprised that as unalike as
        > we are, we are so predictably
        > alike. It's a fun assignment. We do the whole body on that, too.
        > Measuring, comparing and
        > really getting into da vinci. k
        > On Nov 2, 2010, at 6:08 AM, Greg Hogan wrote:
        >

        > > I start out on paper. I break down each part of the portrait.
        > > First we study the eyes and various shapes of eyes, then move on to
        > > noses, ears etc.... I then use a grid to help them with
        > > proportions. Before they start adding the features I discuss the
        > > grid and break down the thirds rule. I found that if you try to
        > > discuss the whole portrait at once it becomes overwhelming for
        > > students. When they study the individual parts they seem to have
        > > more of an understanding when they start putting them together.
        > > Hope this helps.
        > > GHogan

      • llburoker
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2010