Re: [art_education] high school Portrait drawing

  • Karen Oliver-rider
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
      Betty Edwards, Drawing, Using the Right Side of the Brain, is a fantastic start to approaching a portrait art piece, grids are helpful too, you can scan the students photo and go from there.
      Karen

      How do you teach where to start the portrait drawing on the paper
      or a canvas.
      Do you use Rules of thirds, or Measure so how.
      Thanks,
      Lois

    • llburoker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
        Thank you for the Info.
        Lois

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Karen Oliver-rider <karenoliverrider@...> wrote:

        > Betty Edwards, Drawing, Using the Right Side of the Brain, is a fantastic start
        > to approaching a portrait art piece, grids are helpful too, you can scan the
        > students photo and go from there.
        > Karen

      • The Ericksons
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010

          One thing I do with elementary, that might be helpful w/ HS is tell the kids the size of their head must be life-size or bigger.  So I have them measure their head (top of head to chin) with 2 hands and then immediately put the 2 hands down on their paper.  This seems to help them visualize how big it needs to be.   This has greatly improved the size of heads and placement on the paper for my students.

          Cindy

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
            Cindy, I will try this, as I always have doubts on the head.
            Thanks, Lois