Looking for Map art project for second grade

  • ednakate
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
      Hi All-
      I am looking for a map themed art project to do with second graders. Any great ideas? I have been searching the web but haven't found anything that really looks different than what we have done before.
      The lesson length is 45 minutes.
      Thanks,
      Alyssa
      San Diego
    • Kathleen Maledon

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010

          Have them create a compass rose (radial design) for one part of the project-there are some beautifual examples online-  http://www.gisnet.com/notebook/comprose.php

          http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~feegi/rose.html

          Next supply them with a handout of map symbols that you would normally see in a map key- bridge, RR track, highway signs, playground, hospital, hiking trails, etc. www.trafficsign.us/rg.html
           Have them create a map of a known or imagined place using the symbols on the map.  i did theis with 2nd graders and some were more successful than others, but they all enjoyed figuring out the symbols and creating a map- it could even be a tresaure map!

          Check out our 2nd grade maps and compass roses on Artsonia

          http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?school=63848&grade=2&sdt=7/1/2010&edt=7/1/2011

          Have fun-

          Jane

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ednakate" <h8n2w8@...> wrote:

          > Hi All-
          > I am looking for a map themed art project to do with second graders. Any great ideas? I have been searching the web but haven't found anything that really looks different than what we have done before.
          > The lesson length is 45 minutes.
          > Thanks,
          > Alyssa
          > San Diego

        • kathabrams1
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
            Does it have to be an above-ground map? Perhaps an underground map, as of a burrow, pipes, different levels of things underground?

            It's a challenge to create your own block seen from a helicopter. Or from your house to school or a favorite park, friend's house, or walking-distance store.

            I'm going to try a treasure map with 4th or 5th this year in pen and ink, with a compass rose. So thanks, Jane, for the compass rose link.

            Kathie