Re: [art_education] Currier and Ives - PRINTMAKING

  • Lauren Perlman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2010
      MaryAnn, it's always nice to read about what you are up to:-)

      A nice project for printmaking:

      Styrofoam plates
      pencils
      scrap paper for sketching
      colored ink
      brayers
      extra paper for printing

      Have the students discuss themes for their works and sketch them on a scrap paper.  It is always good to plan out the artwork beforehand.  Then, they can create their sketch on the plate, scraping the design in with their pencil.  It is important to use the BOTTOM of the plate. So, they turn their plate over so that the bottom is facing up.

      They can then roll their brayers in a particular paint, roll it on their sketch, press another paper on top and, voila! a print.  Of course, you could talk to them about what a print is and how the computer printer today does the same thing....they can print multiple prints of their image by simply pressing another paper on top of it and repeating the steps above.

      I would discuss with them what would happen if they include numbers and letters.....and how they could include more than one color.....what happens regarding time......

      GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      -L

      Lauren R. Perlman, M.S. Ed
      Founder/Director, Mummies and Masterpieces

      (847) 673-7370
      (847) 220-0325
      Alternate email lauren@...

      NOW BOOKING ALL PROGRAMS FOR SECULAR AND RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS
      .....and now available...our Fall After School and Enrichment Flyer!

      Find us on FACEBOOK and follow us on TWITTER

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2010
        Perfect -- printmaking is a great addition to the ideas I'm presenting!!
        This is exactly what these volunteer inexperienced moms can handle,
        and the kids will love it.
        Thanks, Lauren and Judy.
        And also a thank you to Wanda for her calendar idea.

        Problem solved!! :)
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
        MaryAnn
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
        25th Anniversary 1985 – 2010
        Celebrating 25 Years of Bringing Art to Children

        On Oct 6, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Lauren Perlman wrote:

[...]

        I have cut the calendar pictures into 2 or 3 inch squares depending of the
        size of the picture, numbered them for each picture, then mixed them all
        up. I then gave a piece to my students along with a larger piece of
        square paper 4x4 they then drew a grid on the calendar and paper to draw
        the picture  or they could free hand draw, rendering it in colored
        pencils. I have three classes of 8th grade students so some had parts of
        pictures in each class so some couldn't find their matching pieces until
        they finished. To display when they were finished I had them match the
        numbers on a large piece of construction paper taping thier piece in
        it's place. It is fun to see how their pieces match the pieces around it
        or maybe not. LOL After all pictures are completed I take up the
        originals tape them onto another piece of paper so they can see the
        originals in tact.

        __I

        Wanda