Re: [art_education] Empty Bowls Project

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
      Maria Martinez, 1884-1980
      bio and art project with photographs found on page 46 of Great American Artists for Kids

      Coil Pottery

      Materials
      air-drying terra cotta clay or other clay
      small bowl (soup or cereal size)
      plastic wrap
      acrylic paints and brushes

      Process
      1. Line the bowl with plastic wrap.
      2. Soften clay by squeezing and kneading. Punch off balls of clay the size of a walnut. Roll these balls into long snakes.
      3. Place one of of a clay snake in the bottom of the bowl. Coil the clay around itself, making a round clay spiral. Add a second  clay snake nest to the first coil. Coil it in a different direction, or form it into two spirals creating a fancy 2 shape. Keep adding clay snakes and coiling them against the others until the bowl is filled, completely lined with coils up to the edge.
      4. Gently smooth the inside of the clay with fingertips. Push hard enough to bend the coil together.
      5. Let the clay dry for a day or two, until the clay is completely hard.
      6. Tip the coil bowl out of the soup bowl. Peel away the plastic warp. the pattern of the cils makes a design on the outside of the clay. If the inner surface is still soft, let it dry for another day.
      7. Paint the dry clay bowl with acrylic paints.
      From Great American Artists for Kids, page 46.
      © copyright 2008 MaryAnn Kohl
      Not for distribution, for single personal use only.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      25th Anniversary 1985 – 2010
      Celebrating 25 Years of Bringing Art to Children

      On Oct 4, 2010, at 9:31 AM, KATHY TROTT wrote:

      My students used to make beautiful coil bowls by lining the inside of a lidded bowl (such as cool whip containers) with damp paper towel strips and then build the coil bowl from the bottom up. They filled empty spaces with small marble sized pieces of clay to add decoration. Then, they blended the clay on the inside so that the piece would remain intact during the drying process (very slowly drying to prevent cracks). Since we had limited time daily to work, we could lid the container and it would not dry during the building process.
      Hope this helps...

      Kathy Trott
      NBCT '04
      Visual Art Teacher
      Septima P. Clark Corporate Academy
      1929 Grimball Road
      Charleston, SC 29412
      Telephone: (843) 762-6217
      Fax: (843) 762-6218
      www.ccsdschools.com

      Excellence is our Standard
      >>> "allgaul" <allgaul@...> 10/04/10 7:34 AM >>>
      Hi everybody,
      I teach 6-8 middle school 3-D art and have a fledgling clay program going. I
      am called an "exploratory" teacher along with the 2-D art teacher, music
      appreciation, technology and communications skills teachers.
      The kids rotate through each of us for about 18 classes, every other day
      then switch to a new exploratory.

      We have been charged with a service learning component this year. We are
      going to attempt The Empty Bowls project-Empty Bowls is a grassroots effort
      to raise money and awareness in an effort to end hunger and food insecurity.
      Each group that participates in the Empty Bowls project works with their
      community to create their own event. (emptybowls.net)

      Has anyone attempted to do clay bowls for this project?

      Anybody have suggestions on how to make the bowls (NO WHEEL!). I am getting
      stoneware so it can be fired to cone 6, will texture the outside of the bowl
      and clear glaze the inside. The guy I buy clay from (Midlantic Clay Supply)
      thinks if I dry the bowls really well and do a long hold before firing I can
      do it in one time through the kiln.

      My one idea: I came up with a slab drape method-I got inflatable beach
      balls that are 6" across, put them in a smaller bowl to hold them steady,
      roll out a slab and cut a 10" circle of clay, texture it with stamps or roll
      doilies or lace on the outside, drape the slab over the ball and then do
      pleat folding around the edge to bring in the excess clay. Add a foot using
      4 balls of clay and call it finished.
      It needs to be 'stone cold easy' if you know what I mean, middle schoolers
      are more interested in socializing than concentrating on their
      craftsmanship.

      Any thoughts, warnings, ideas, tips or logistics to run a project like this?
      The other teachers are doing the organizing and publicizing with their
      classes. My goal was to get 250-300 bowls made to 'sell' (donations) the
      night of the soup and bread dinner at the school.

      Cathy in NJ