Re: [art_education] Empty Bowls Project

  • Billie Dreher
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
      I think this is a wonderful idea!  I think what you're describing should work just fine.  You could also purchase a class room size of cheap bowls from the Dollar Store - using them as the mold in a similar fashion as the beach ball.

      Good Luck!

      Billie Ann Dreher

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
        My students used to make beautiful coil bowls by lining the inside of a lidded bowl (such as cool whip containers) with damp paper towel strips and then build the coil bowl from the bottom up. They filled empty spaces with small marble sized pieces of clay to add decoration. Then, they blended the clay on the inside so that the piece would remain intact during the drying process (very slowly drying to prevent cracks). Since we had limited time daily to work, we could lid the container and it would not dry during the building process.
        Hope this helps...

        Kathy Trott
        NBCT '04
        Visual Art Teacher
        Septima P. Clark Corporate Academy
        1929 Grimball Road
        Charleston, SC 29412
        Telephone: (843) 762-6217
        Fax: (843) 762-6218
        www.ccsdschools.com

        Excellence is our Standard
        >>> "allgaul" <allgaul@...> 10/04/10 7:34 AM >>>
        Hi everybody,
        I teach 6-8 middle school 3-D art and have a fledgling clay program going. I
        am called an "exploratory" teacher along with the 2-D art teacher, music
        appreciation, technology and communications skills teachers.
        The kids rotate through each of us for about 18 classes, every other day
        then switch to a new exploratory.

        We have been charged with a service learning component this year. We are
        going to attempt The Empty Bowls project-Empty Bowls is a grassroots effort
        to raise money and awareness in an effort to end hunger and food insecurity.
        Each group that participates in the Empty Bowls project works with their
        community to create their own event. (emptybowls.net)

        Has anyone attempted to do clay bowls for this project?

        Anybody have suggestions on how to make the bowls (NO WHEEL!). I am getting
        stoneware so it can be fired to cone 6, will texture the outside of the bowl
        and clear glaze the inside. The guy I buy clay from (Midlantic Clay Supply)
        thinks if I dry the bowls really well and do a long hold before firing I can
        do it in one time through the kiln.

        My one idea: I came up with a slab drape method-I got inflatable beach
        balls that are 6" across, put them in a smaller bowl to hold them steady,
        roll out a slab and cut a 10" circle of clay, texture it with stamps or roll
        doilies or lace on the outside, drape the slab over the ball and then do
        pleat folding around the edge to bring in the excess clay. Add a foot using
        4 balls of clay and call it finished.
        It needs to be 'stone cold easy' if you know what I mean, middle schoolers
        are more interested in socializing than concentrating on their
        craftsmanship.

        Any thoughts, warnings, ideas, tips or logistics to run a project like this?
        The other teachers are doing the organizing and publicizing with their
        classes. My goal was to get 250-300 bowls made to 'sell' (donations) the
        night of the soup and bread dinner at the school.

        Cathy in NJ

      • MARYANN KOHL
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
          Maria Martinez, 1884-1980
          bio and art project with photographs found on page 46 of Great American Artists for Kids

          Coil Pottery

          Materials
          air-drying terra cotta clay or other clay
          small bowl (soup or cereal size)
          plastic wrap
          acrylic paints and brushes

          Process
          1. Line the bowl with plastic wrap.
          2. Soften clay by squeezing and kneading. Punch off balls of clay the size of a walnut. Roll these balls into long snakes.
          3. Place one of of a clay snake in the bottom of the bowl. Coil the clay around itself, making a round clay spiral. Add a second  clay snake nest to the first coil. Coil it in a different direction, or form it into two spirals creating a fancy 2 shape. Keep adding clay snakes and coiling them against the others until the bowl is filled, completely lined with coils up to the edge.
          4. Gently smooth the inside of the clay with fingertips. Push hard enough to bend the coil together.
          5. Let the clay dry for a day or two, until the clay is completely hard.
          6. Tip the coil bowl out of the soup bowl. Peel away the plastic warp. the pattern of the cils makes a design on the outside of the clay. If the inner surface is still soft, let it dry for another day.
          7. Paint the dry clay bowl with acrylic paints.
          From Great American Artists for Kids, page 46.
          © copyright 2008 MaryAnn Kohl
          Not for distribution, for single personal use only.

          MaryAnn
          25th Anniversary 1985 – 2010
          Celebrating 25 Years of Bringing Art to Children