Empty Bowls Project

  • allgaul
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
      Hi everybody,
      I teach 6-8 middle school 3-D art and have a fledgling clay program going. I
      am called an "exploratory" teacher along with the 2-D art teacher, music
      appreciation, technology and communications skills teachers.
      The kids rotate through each of us for about 18 classes, every other day
      then switch to a new exploratory.

      We have been charged with a service learning component this year. We are
      going to attempt The Empty Bowls project-Empty Bowls is a grassroots effort
      to raise money and awareness in an effort to end hunger and food insecurity.
      Each group that participates in the Empty Bowls project works with their
      community to create their own event. (emptybowls.net)

      Has anyone attempted to do clay bowls for this project?

      Anybody have suggestions on how to make the bowls (NO WHEEL!). I am getting
      stoneware so it can be fired to cone 6, will texture the outside of the bowl
      and clear glaze the inside. The guy I buy clay from (Midlantic Clay Supply)
      thinks if I dry the bowls really well and do a long hold before firing I can
      do it in one time through the kiln.

      My one idea: I came up with a slab drape method-I got inflatable beach
      balls that are 6" across, put them in a smaller bowl to hold them steady,
      roll out a slab and cut a 10" circle of clay, texture it with stamps or roll
      doilies or lace on the outside, drape the slab over the ball and then do
      pleat folding around the edge to bring in the excess clay. Add a foot using
      4 balls of clay and call it finished.
      It needs to be 'stone cold easy' if you know what I mean, middle schoolers
      are more interested in socializing than concentrating on their
      craftsmanship.

      Any thoughts, warnings, ideas, tips or logistics to run a project like this?
      The other teachers are doing the organizing and publicizing with their
      classes. My goal was to get 250-300 bowls made to 'sell' (donations) the
      night of the soup and bread dinner at the school.

      Cathy in NJ
    • Billie Dreher
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
        I think this is a wonderful idea!  I think what you're describing should work just fine.  You could also purchase a class room size of cheap bowls from the Dollar Store - using them as the mold in a similar fashion as the beach ball.

        Good Luck!

        Billie Ann Dreher

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            art_education-digest@yahoogroups.com
            art_education-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • KATHY TROTT
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
          My students used to make beautiful coil bowls by lining the inside of a lidded bowl (such as cool whip containers) with damp paper towel strips and then build the coil bowl from the bottom up. They filled empty spaces with small marble sized pieces of clay to add decoration. Then, they blended the clay on the inside so that the piece would remain intact during the drying process (very slowly drying to prevent cracks). Since we had limited time daily to work, we could lid the container and it would not dry during the building process.
          Hope this helps...

          Kathy Trott
          NBCT '04
          Visual Art Teacher
          Septima P. Clark Corporate Academy
          1929 Grimball Road
          Charleston, SC 29412
          Telephone: (843) 762-6217
          Fax: (843) 762-6218
          www.ccsdschools.com

          Excellence is our Standard
          >>> "allgaul" <allgaul@...> 10/04/10 7:34 AM >>>
          Hi everybody,
          I teach 6-8 middle school 3-D art and have a fledgling clay program going. I
          am called an "exploratory" teacher along with the 2-D art teacher, music
          appreciation, technology and communications skills teachers.
          The kids rotate through each of us for about 18 classes, every other day
          then switch to a new exploratory.

          We have been charged with a service learning component this year. We are
          going to attempt The Empty Bowls project-Empty Bowls is a grassroots effort
          to raise money and awareness in an effort to end hunger and food insecurity.
          Each group that participates in the Empty Bowls project works with their
          community to create their own event. (emptybowls.net)

          Has anyone attempted to do clay bowls for this project?

          Anybody have suggestions on how to make the bowls (NO WHEEL!). I am getting
          stoneware so it can be fired to cone 6, will texture the outside of the bowl
          and clear glaze the inside. The guy I buy clay from (Midlantic Clay Supply)
          thinks if I dry the bowls really well and do a long hold before firing I can
          do it in one time through the kiln.

          My one idea: I came up with a slab drape method-I got inflatable beach
          balls that are 6" across, put them in a smaller bowl to hold them steady,
          roll out a slab and cut a 10" circle of clay, texture it with stamps or roll
          doilies or lace on the outside, drape the slab over the ball and then do
          pleat folding around the edge to bring in the excess clay. Add a foot using
          4 balls of clay and call it finished.
          It needs to be 'stone cold easy' if you know what I mean, middle schoolers
          are more interested in socializing than concentrating on their
          craftsmanship.

          Any thoughts, warnings, ideas, tips or logistics to run a project like this?
          The other teachers are doing the organizing and publicizing with their
          classes. My goal was to get 250-300 bowls made to 'sell' (donations) the
          night of the soup and bread dinner at the school.

          Cathy in NJ

        • MARYANN KOHL
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 4, 2010
            Maria Martinez, 1884-1980
            bio and art project with photographs found on page 46 of Great American Artists for Kids

            Coil Pottery

            Materials
            air-drying terra cotta clay or other clay
            small bowl (soup or cereal size)
            plastic wrap
            acrylic paints and brushes

            Process
            1. Line the bowl with plastic wrap.
            2. Soften clay by squeezing and kneading. Punch off balls of clay the size of a walnut. Roll these balls into long snakes.
            3. Place one of of a clay snake in the bottom of the bowl. Coil the clay around itself, making a round clay spiral. Add a second  clay snake nest to the first coil. Coil it in a different direction, or form it into two spirals creating a fancy 2 shape. Keep adding clay snakes and coiling them against the others until the bowl is filled, completely lined with coils up to the edge.
            4. Gently smooth the inside of the clay with fingertips. Push hard enough to bend the coil together.
            5. Let the clay dry for a day or two, until the clay is completely hard.
            6. Tip the coil bowl out of the soup bowl. Peel away the plastic warp. the pattern of the cils makes a design on the outside of the clay. If the inner surface is still soft, let it dry for another day.
            7. Paint the dry clay bowl with acrylic paints.
            From Great American Artists for Kids, page 46.
            © copyright 2008 MaryAnn Kohl
            Not for distribution, for single personal use only.

            MaryAnn
            25th Anniversary 1985 – 2010
            Celebrating 25 Years of Bringing Art to Children