Guidelines for working with learning disabilities

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2004
      (FYI - Thanks Pam!)

      Dear Art Educators,

      I have seen learning disabilities and behavior disabilities come up on all
      lists. I will put a section on IAD in the future.
      Here is some excellent advice from a Getty list member on this topic.

      Pam Whisenhunt has specialized in teaching students with learning
      disabilities for 21 years now, and can offer some basic descriptions
      and guidlines.

      They are:
      1. Normal to above average intelligence
      2. All have a different array of strengths and weaknesses (mostly
      language-based), which is why they need small classes/ or extra help
      3. Many are very creative;( Chuck Close is reportedly dyslexic) "right
      brained"
      4. The issues that drive teachers crazy are generally:
      a) Accompanying attention-deficit hyper-active disorder
      (ADHD), which means they often have great difficulty staying on task
      b) Often "young" for their age - socially immature
      b) Not following directions - often because they don't
      understand (auditory difficulties)
      c) Often very disorganized and forget things
      d) Oppositional behavior (probably the toughest, usually
      emotionally based)

      **Lessons for LD students:

      1. In general, keep instructions simple, no more than 3 steps at a
      time (memory issues)
      2. Any lesson with a clear sequence is generally a good lesson -
      3. Strong visuals , quick demos
      4. !Don't talk too much! (ADHD and auditory issues) They are actually
      very hands on and like to get on with it!
      5. Don't insult their intelligence; many are very bright, some are in
      the gifted range

      **Some lessons that have been popular:

      A. Simple, realistic drawing (they tend to be very concrete) - how
      to draw a face, using the half face photograph and drawing the
      mirror image; basic 1-point perspective. basic landscape
      showing how aerial perspective works
      B. Papier Mache - great medium for these guys as long as they
      understand the structure - Masks, dragons and animals are very popular (you
      can make small animals using pipecleaner armatures that are wrapped
      in paper towels/newsprint + tape
      C. Cartooning - many are aspiring cartoonists
      D. Stenciled designs - any kind of stenciling with instructions for
      creating repeated designs are generally succesful - especially for
      students with poor motor skills
      E. They love clay! Competition for the tallest coil pot, slabs
      with images incised or carved low relief. . . .
      F. They love paint! Color mixing designs are great warm-ups for a
      painting project

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources
    • Renah Bell
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2004
        Thanks, Pam,
        That was great. I have inclusion classes, with LD and regular students doing
        art together. These are wonderful ideas that can be used with blended
        classes. Last semester I did painting with them. It was very successful.
        This semester we are doing sculpture, using clay, paper mache. and possibly
        other ideas---like the hangar wire sculptures covered with stockings or foil
        and masking tape and then painted.
        There are many things these children cannot handle, and I don't like to
        cheat the regular kids, but these lessons can be done on many levels at the
        same time.
        Thanks.
        Renah Bell