Recycled plastic art!

  • Steph
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2010
      First off, I just want to thank everyone. I'm a first year art teacher, and this group has been insanely helpful to me!

      I'm interested in creating a recycled plastic flower garden in the school courtyard with my advanced 3D design students. I was wondering if anyone has any great ideas, references, or solutions for creating flowers/plants/insects out of recycled plastics.

      Also, I read that you can use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun to form plastic. Has anyone done this before? And how?

      Instead of glue (which i want to avoid using), does anyone know of any other material I could use to secure plastics together? I've heard of rivet guns. Any thoughts?

      Thanks in advance!
    • Steve Reiter
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2010
        It depends on the thickness of the plastic whether or not you can shape with hair dryer. I use both a hand held heat gun I purchased for ten dollars at craft store and also hair dryers i purchased at thrift stor. Depending on what shape or curve we want we use diffrent size wooden dowels to shape our plastic for diffrent things.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2010
          Hi
          I know a way you can create a 3-d mural on a wall which you could draw it out in to a garden. If you want to discuss you can email me back. As in molding plastic I personally don't have any information for you. I was thinking taps plastics they deal with plastic of all sorts maybe they can refer you to a book, or websites that can support your idea.... Much love

          Good luck :) def send photos it sounds like a great idea

          All the best, Tree Rivera Make Art Matter, Inc.
          Building Eco-awareness with community based arts.

          You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

          - Mahatma Gandhi