Name Games

  • aj4art
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2010
      Does anyone have a good name game (basically as a tool for me to learn 600+ names this year?) I teach Pre-K through 6. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you-
      Amy M.
      Buffalo, NY
    • The Ericksons
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2010

        I go into the cafeteria and ask the kids to help me with my memory.   I go around the table and try to name all the kids and they help me if I can’t remember.   For some reason it seems to help cement the names for me if the kids are in a different environment.   I do about 3 tables a day so I don’t overwhelm my brain….

        Cindy

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010

          Amy, it also helps for you to take a picture of each class, and record the students names in order.

          One teacher I know takes the class pic, then cuts the picture apart, gluing students faces in the gradebook next to their name.

          Jan in Tampa

        • artsypffartsy
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010
            It takes me about a week to get this done, but I have designed my seating charts to have not only names, but also head shots of each child. You could do this with a word doc floor plan of your room table arrangement and just copy/paste the headshot onto the table where the child sits. I like to do them in powerpoint, as i can slide them around easily to change seats whenever I want. I also put this photo into a word doc class list that can be used to check off work as it is completed, or in my case, I use it for a digital portfolio. I also photograph artwork for my kids for each major project they do, and these photos can be used for the website, AND to slide into their digital portfolio with their headshot next to their art. It does not take long to get to know them all that way. It's intense at the start of the year to do this, but I know my kids now. I teach 180, not 600. Maybe you could get a Mom to help you with this.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aj4art" <aj4art@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have a good name game (basically as a tool for me to learn 600+ names this year?) I teach Pre-K through 6. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you-
            > Amy M.
            > Buffalo, NY

          • pent19
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010
              Make the first project for everyone a name project. (pre-k and K- can color or cut out letters of their names)! When you walk around use their names each time you talk to them, when you see them say their name.
              This helped me my first year with 475 students!
              michele