Art Education List Posts - open to ALL

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2010
      Greetings Art Education list members,

      Many years ago, Ken Rohrer - list owner - made the decision to have
      Art Education posts open to all (To view Files, one still needs to
      join). This also makes all email addresses that get posted available
      to all. Yahoo truncates them, but spammers try different endings and
      eventually get it right. This is also why Spammers have been able to
      post to the list(s) using our email addresses (this is more common
      than email accounts being "hacked").

      Since this issue has been brought up, maybe Ken could start a poll on
      the list asking member opinions? I have never been in favor of having
      an open list (Count my vote for closing posts to the public). Reading
      our words of wisdom should be a perk of membership (smile). Those of
      you who have been on this list for quite some time have noticed a
      decline in my posts to the list as well (as a result of the decision
      to have posts open to all). I generally answer off list.

      Getty list has always been open to all. It never ceases to amaze me
      what folks post there for the world to see...... At least on Art
      Education, posts can easily be removed by Ken. Not so on Getty list.

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2010
        No spammer will be able to harvest your e-mail address from this group when they aren't a member. Nothing appears after the @ in your messages when you post to non-members. Spammers have software that will create email addresses with different configurations. For example, they will send mail to kenroar@..., kenroat@..., kenroap@..., etc. Because of this, none of us is immune to spam. Spammers use harvesting software and don't have the time to go through every listgroup on internet let alone Yahoo groups and guess what comes after the @ for every post. Your e-mail address is available to list members only and can not be harvested by outsiders in Yahoo groups.

        Spammers and viruses post on list groups using several methods. Spyware can send out mail to everyone listed in a user's e-mail folder and address book. This means if the listgroups e-mail address is in their address book or outbox, then a spam will be sent to that location.

        Don't just trust my word for it- following is a FAQ from Yahoo concerning this subject:

        (Found on http://tinyurl.com/2vo5zp5)
        Although Yahoo! Groups safeguards your email address from mass harvesting, you should know that in most cases, your email address will become known to the group through normal interaction. Please read this page carefully to understand the details concerning the visibility of your email address on the service.

        * If you post a message to the group via email, your email address will appear in the message. (This is standard email protocol and there's no way of getting around it.)
        * Whenever a page containing your email address is displayed to other members or made "public" to non-members, we mask your address to prevent mass harvesting. For example, if your email address is "joe@...," we display "joe@x..." However, in most cases, the owner and moderators of your group can see your email address (it won't be masked for them as they often need to see member addresses to manage the group).
        * Some groups allow you to hide your email address entirely from the group (including from the group owner and moderators). If you choose this option, your email address won't be disclosed to the group at all, but you must post messages to the group from the Groups web site. (You'll still be able to receive group messages via email). Please note that not all groups offer you this option, as it is a per-group setting controllable by the creator of the group.
        * If you're concerned about your email address being known to other members, we suggest you set up a special address for community services like Groups. You can easily do that by signing up for Yahoo! Mail.

        2) If your e-mail has been used to send spam:
        Change your password. When you do that, also check your account settings for an unfamiliar alternate email. Yahoo provides that option so they can contact you if you have forgotten your password. A spammer with your password could tamper with it to retrieve new passwords after you change them.

        Also abstain from clicking on links within the spam. Some websites have malicious scripts that will tell logged-in webmail to spam the address book. Finally, run your updated virus software to check for viruses and/or spyware.

        3) If after reading this email you have a good reason for not wanting other list members from knowing your e-mail, e-mail me off list.

        Ken Rohrer