Re: Email at school

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010
      From what I hear, even this list group and The Incredible Art Department are blocked from some school districts.

      Ken

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Penny Lee <penny_lee53@...> wrote:

      > It all depends on the district's policy. the district I used to work in didn't allow teachers to use their personal e-mail while at school not just during school hours; it was blocked. Other sites were blocked as well, not just inappropriate sites for kids; sites that contained certain "trigger" such as naked even though it wasn't in the context of body or people. "The Naked chef", for example would be blocked or perhaps a site dealing with the Olympic Games in Ancient Greece (because the men participating in the games didn't wear clothing. Any form of streaming media was blocked as well. You'd have to get approval from someone in technology to unblock it for you and if anything on the site could be interpreted as inappropriate for kids you wouldn't be granted access. If there's a computer lab at your school site check the schedule if you'd like to have everyone look at the Internet at the same time; there are quite a few interactive Art sites. Individually, you could devise a rotation schedule within the Art room to use the computer if that's the way you'd like to go. I suggest you check into your district's policies about the Internet.
      >
      > Penny Lee
    • Makio Kawashima
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010

        Hi

        In Japan,the kids mostly use the internet in computer room while at school.

        I set the portal site[top page] in my school.

        http://www.edogawaku.ed.jp/shinozakis/gakushuulink.html

        Makio Kawashima

        http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/Olympiad1.html

        http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/epage.html

        http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/artcommunal/ArtEducationProgram.html

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010
          Yes, you are probably right!  I had to solicited the powers that be in my former district last year to "allow" me to have access to the Users' groups pertaining to teaching Art.  I was able to access The Incredible Art Dept. w/out an barriers being taken down.

          Penny Lee

          To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
          From: kenroar@...
          Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 07:36:03 +0000
          Subject: [art_education] Re: Email at school

          From what I hear, even this list group and The Incredible Art Department are blocked from some school districts.

          Ken

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Penny Lee <penny_lee53@...> wrote:

          > It all depends on the district's policy. the district I used to work in didn't allow teachers to use their personal e-mail while at school not just during school hours; it was blocked. Other sites were blocked as well, not just inappropriate sites for kids; sites that contained certain "trigger" such as naked even though it wasn't in the context of body or people. "The Naked chef", for example would be blocked or perhaps a site dealing with the Olympic Games in Ancient Greece (because the men participating in the games didn't wear clothing. Any form of streaming media was blocked as well. You'd have to get approval from someone in technology to unblock it for you and if anything on the site could be interpreted as inappropriate for kids you wouldn't be granted access. If there's a computer lab at your school site check the schedule if you'd like to have everyone look at the Internet at the same time; there are quite a few interactive Art sites. Individually, you could devise a rotation schedule within the Art room to use the computer if that's the way you'd like to go. I suggest you check into your district's policies about the Internet.
          >
          > Penny Lee

        • Wanda
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2010
            I am able to go on The Incredible Art Dept site, but not the group site.  Wanda