Fall Tip In Exchange - Theme: Behind the Mask - 6 single pages

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2010
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Altered Book Tip In pages give you a chance to "do a little art". As a
      retired art teacher, I don't have much of a need to "do art". Making
      art to sell was never something I wanted to do. Art is personal for me
      - and a gift (I give away my art).

      We do have a group for the fall exchange. I let the small group decide
      the overall theme - and requirements.

      Here are the specifications.

      Theme: Behind the Mask (can be interpreted any way you wish).
      Format: Single page - front and back - 5.5" w x 8.5" h (slightly
      smaller doesn't hurt - but don't go larger as they are too big for
      tipping in to most books - and larger won't fit in my special box I am
      designing for my own pages)
      Quantity for the exchange: Six pages - send me 5 (we all found out
      last summer that doing 10 was too much)
      Media: Anything goes!
      Include return postage for Priority Mail (either a stamp or paid
      return address label). Do NOT include the cardboard mailer (If your
      mailing envelope can not be re-used - I will pick up the mailers. It
      is better not to have them bent or folded). You may send to me any way
      you wish, but please do not send Express Mail (it always makes me feel
      bad when folks go to that expense).
      Priority Mail has been by far the easiest way to go. It may cost you
      an additional dollar or two - but it is well worth the time saving for
      me (smile).

      I haven't started putting mine together - so it may spread to two
      pages. If you prefer working on facing pages - you still need to do
      something on the front and back for this exchange. Since there are
      more than enough members already, you can send me fewer than 5 pages
      if you get "in a pinch" rather than dropping out.

      The only big rule I enforce is that your pages can not be color
      photocopies of your own original. Much of mine is done with computer
      printed images - but all pages have "my hand" in them. Photography and
      digital work is fine - and - YES, you can do the same thing for all
      six pages. Often it takes me days to design the first page/pages.
      Following that as a guide, I can complete each additional in a matter
      of hours (My last series, once the original was set - which I planned
      over several days - took over 40 hours to complete. Others were able
      to get theirs done in less time).

      Nice - but not required - is a page explaining the personal meaning of
      your pages and technique used. I generally add a separate page, but
      for this exchange, I am going to play with an idea I learned from
      Ellen - adding a pocket to the back side an slipping in the "meanings"
      page. Mine might even be in a small book form? Don't know yet. My own
      personal meaning keeps going back and forth from a positive (as a
      means to show off my GORGEOUS new Baule mask) - to a sort of negative
      (those who hide behind a mask).

      I will keep the group open for one more week - the group will be
      finalized next weekend. Mailing to me won't be until January (or even
      February) - I am much more flexible with this exchange. My August was
      very busy this summer - hence the request for a July date.

      Reply to me OFF- LIST (jdecker4art -ending in- gmail.com - of course,
      don't forget the @)

      Full name:
      Email address:
      Home address:
      Phone (only used if necessary):
      Email addresses get sent out to the group - but not home addresses.

      I have another idea for a spring exchange, too -- and yes - one for
      summer, so more exchanges will be offered if you can't join this one.

      I really LOVE having international members, but postage is a problem.
      My advice for those outside the US is to offer an exchange in your own
      countries with art teachers in your community. I can help you get
      started.

    • Heidi
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2010
        This is really an exciting undertaking, Judy. :-)

        Heidi