Re: [art_education] First days of Advanced Art classes and Auditions

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2010
      do what they did on Work of Art on Bravo...have them create a self portrait in any medium they wish.
      tells alot about them as people and artists.  by the way, loved the tv series. k
      On Sep 1, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Ms. Thielke wrote:

      First of all let me say that I am excited for the new school year here
      in NYC to begin next week! I teach at an arts magnet middle school in
      East Harlem. I am preparing my lessons and introductions (without
      knowing my schedule, mind you). I would have no problem moving forward
      but we will be holding "auditions" for new students and misplaced
      students to be placed into their art majors (we offer dance, chorus,
      band and art). I will have a number of additional students joining my
      double period advanced art classes the first week of school to
      "audition." I figure that on this day everyone in the class will have
      to do a one day mini project so that I may evaluate these auditioners.
      I am a bit hesitant on how to structure this project since it will
      only be our second class together without having fully completed our
      introduction.

      I am looking for ideas and input on both what the project should be as
      well as how to structure it and the first week as a whole. (These art
      classes will normally be meeting for a double period [approx 90 min]
      twice a week. I believe the auditions will be on the second day, but
      since I don't have my schedule yet, I am not sure exactly.) Without
      all of this confusion and scheduling nonsense, I would begin with an
      overview, intro, team building games, intro to sketchbooks and
      building our sketchbooks. These seem silly to do until the second
      week.

      Thanks in advance for considering my situation. I am in dire need for
      a fresh approach to solving this and of course my colleagues will be
      teaching the performing arts so it affects their program differently.
      Angela