Oh no! -- NOW What is art and what is not?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2004
      (Amy - you can see I liked your article -- I guess it is grand that it is OK
      for you and I to disagree on the merits of the article -- smile...but
      another good one for the art ed lists)

      Dear Art Educators,

      Not to open a can of worms...In my own class room we purposely made up our
      OWN definitions for What is Art? and What is Craft? (Pond Scum wasn't
      anywhere in the mix -- Yes - I am having trouble with that one still,
      too --smile - no offense to the list member who posted it - just towards the
      professor who started it). We purposely made sculptural ceramics so we could
      officially call it ART. Foil tooling became frames for ART. You have my
      permission to define What is Art in your own classrooms....the
      haughty-taughty aestheticians these days probably can't even agree.

      You and I know now the lines are blurred. Faith Ringgold is just one
      example - her work is quilts (craft) yet NO ONE would say her work is not
      ART (painting). I could list many examples....

      But just so you can have a chuckle - this Magazine is trying to make it
      easier for it's readers....
      http://www.sunshineartist.com/magazine/classify.htm
      The funny thing is --they no longer even consider SCULPTURE! Is that now
      "other crafts"? I haven't decided where they have stashed my "passion"....
      Oh....and where would they put Kitsch (sp?) -- I guess just "other"

      One of my Dollmaker friends posted this to the Dollmaker's list... and I
      just thought you would get a kick out of...We had such a good time debating
      this on Getty a while back. All of you "low craft folks" may remember it
      well... In my book anything the kiddies make is ART.... If any kid wants to
      know if his or her work is art they can send an image to me (smile).

      No need for a debate... I DO know what "aestheticians" officially call ART
      and what they call CRAFT. Ken Rohrer sent me a link testing my knowledge of
      Dada not too long ago (whether you like it or not - it is ART). I never
      shared it because I didn't like the word they called things that were not
      ART. Maybe Ken will share it with Art Education so you can test your Dada
      knowledge?

      The debate will never have an end.... Long live ART....and CRAFT...fine or
      otherwise.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources