image to share (file attached)

  • Sue Stevens
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 9, 2010
    Hello everyone.
    I thought I would share the image of the year-long project, as I recently finished it....
    Last year, every grade 9, 10, 11, and 12 student that went through Visual Arts painted one of the Devil heads (before you ask - our school mascot is the Red Devil).  I gave everyone a 'master image' (which I formatted on a page to the exact size of the board on which they would paint) which they all started from....you can see how some (especially the grade 9s) stayed with that image, and how some really took it to town!  Each student painted a wood board that was about 6x7 inches...those where attached to huge boards, and the mural, which is 5 heads tall, by 24 heads long, hangs in the school hallway above a bank of lockers....
    Some of the students wanted to keep their paintings, so I decided before I attached them all to the backing board, I scanned all the paintings....and have spent a lot of time making this poster, which the kids can buy in the fall.....I've actually made 2 posters - one that is formatted 20x24 inch (which is the one I attached) and one that is 16x20inch.  I'm having them printed at Costco (since they now do poster sizes) and it's very reasonably priced!  The larger one will cost the kids $20 (the art department makes about $2.50 profit in that).....
    About 115 kids participated in the project...... some kids did 2 paintings, because I needed a few more to make the rectangle in the hallway.  I needed several more to make the rectangle for the poster since it was a different format....so a few more were needed.  There are a few on the poster, which are not in the hallway because of that.
    Of those kids, I would say 60% said they would want a poster....which probably means 20% will actually buy one!  But that's okay....I'm not really using it as a fundraiser....but does make for a little extra money if it does sell well.  I've also been facebooking and e-mailing those students who graduated to see if they want one (and I've already sold some!).
    I'm going to plaque mine....also a good price at Costco.....and 'tell' the office that they need to buy one and get it plaqued also!
    Even before I got the mural up in the hallway, I had kids asking if we were going to do the project again next year and keep going down the hallway!  Apparently they really liked the end result!  I don't think I'll do the devil again (mainly because I think there will be a lot of duplication and copying), I would maybe consider a similiar project with a different image (though at this time I can't think what - maybe an 'apple'....)
    Anyways....just wanted to share!
    Sue Stevens
    Woodstock Collegiate Institute
    Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
    Home of the Red Devils!
  • Jennifer Rose
    Message 2 of 28 , Aug 9, 2010
      I cant see the file, but it sounds awesome

      Thank You,
      Jennifer Rose-Segrest

      Message 3 of 28 , Aug 9, 2010
        Sue,
        I would love to see the work.  When I opened the attachment, nothing was there.

        Paige

        .

      • aliteachesart
        Message 4 of 28 , Aug 9, 2010
          Awesome Sue!

          I think you should totally keep it going as the devil, and only hang the one that are original. I bet kids will really think outside the box then, and be planning ahead. :) ALi

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Stevens" <suestevens@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone.
          > I thought I would share the image of the year-long project, as I recently finished it....
          > Last year, every grade 9, 10, 11, and 12 student that went through Visual Arts painted one of the Devil heads (before you ask - our school mascot is the Red Devil). I gave everyone a 'master image' (which I formatted on a page to the exact size of the board on which they would paint) which they all started from....you can see how some (especially the grade 9s) stayed with that image, and how some really took it to town! Each student painted a wood board that was about 6x7 inches...those where attached to huge boards, and the mural, which is 5 heads tall, by 24 heads long, hangs in the school hallway above a bank of lockers....
          > Some of the students wanted to keep their paintings, so I decided before I attached them all to the backing board, I scanned all the paintings....and have spent a lot of time making this poster, which the kids can buy in the fall.....I've actually made 2 posters - one that is formatted 20x24 inch (which is the one I attached) and one that is 16x20inch. I'm having them printed at Costco (since they now do poster sizes) and it's very reasonably priced! The larger one will cost the kids $20 (the art department makes about $2.50 profit in that).....
          > About 115 kids participated in the project...... some kids did 2 paintings, because I needed a few more to make the rectangle in the hallway. I needed several more to make the rectangle for the poster since it was a different format....so a few more were needed. There are a few on the poster, which are not in the hallway because of that.
          > Of those kids, I would say 60% said they would want a poster....which probably means 20% will actually buy one! But that's okay....I'm not really using it as a fundraiser....but does make for a little extra money if it does sell well. I've also been facebooking and e-mailing those students who graduated to see if they want one (and I've already sold some!).
          > I'm going to plaque mine....also a good price at Costco.....and 'tell' the office that they need to buy one and get it plaqued also!
          > Even before I got the mural up in the hallway, I had kids asking if we were going to do the project again next year and keep going down the hallway! Apparently they really liked the end result! I don't think I'll do the devil again (mainly because I think there will be a lot of duplication and copying), I would maybe consider a similiar project with a different image (though at this time I can't think what - maybe an 'apple'....)
          > Anyways....just wanted to share!
          > Sue Stevens
          > Woodstock Collegiate Institute
          > Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
          > Home of the Red Devils!

        • Diane Davis
          Message 5 of 28 , Aug 9, 2010
            look at the bottom of the page. it opened right up for me.
            diane
            On Aug 9, 2010, at 2:59 PM, Paige Conn wrote:

            > Sue,
            > I would love to see the work. When I opened the attachment, nothing
            > was there.
            >
            > Paige
            >
            > .

          • artsypffartsy
            Message 6 of 28 , Aug 10, 2010
              Very cool! My personal favorite is the pear, haha.

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Stevens" <suestevens@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone.
              > I thought I would share the image of the year-long project, as I recently finished it....
              > Last year, every grade 9, 10, 11, and 12 student that went through Visual Arts painted one of the Devil heads (before you ask - our school mascot is the Red Devil). I gave everyone a 'master image' (which I formatted on a page to the exact size of the board on which they would paint) which they all started from....you can see how some (especially the grade 9s) stayed with that image, and how some really took it to town! Each student painted a wood board that was about 6x7 inches...those where attached to huge boards, and the mural, which is 5 heads tall, by 24 heads long, hangs in the school hallway above a bank of lockers....
              > Some of the students wanted to keep their paintings, so I decided before I attached them all to the backing board, I scanned all the paintings....and have spent a lot of time making this poster, which the kids can buy in the fall.....I've actually made 2 posters - one that is formatted 20x24 inch (which is the one I attached) and one that is 16x20inch. I'm having them printed at Costco (since they now do poster sizes) and it's very reasonably priced! The larger one will cost the kids $20 (the art department makes about $2.50 profit in that).....
              > About 115 kids participated in the project...... some kids did 2 paintings, because I needed a few more to make the rectangle in the hallway. I needed several more to make the rectangle for the poster since it was a different format....so a few more were needed. There are a few on the poster, which are not in the hallway because of that.
              > Of those kids, I would say 60% said they would want a poster....which probably means 20% will actually buy one! But that's okay....I'm not really using it as a fundraiser....but does make for a little extra money if it does sell well. I've also been facebooking and e-mailing those students who graduated to see if they want one (and I've already sold some!).
              > I'm going to plaque mine....also a good price at Costco.....and 'tell' the office that they need to buy one and get it plaqued also!
              > Even before I got the mural up in the hallway, I had kids asking if we were going to do the project again next year and keep going down the hallway! Apparently they really liked the end result! I don't think I'll do the devil again (mainly because I think there will be a lot of duplication and copying), I would maybe consider a similiar project with a different image (though at this time I can't think what - maybe an 'apple'....)
              > Anyways....just wanted to share!
              > Sue Stevens
              > Woodstock Collegiate Institute
              > Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
              > Home of the Red Devils!

            • Ken
              Message 7 of 28 , Aug 10, 2010
                Jennifer,

                You can see the file by visiting this link:

                http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/3520770/2101189858/name/DEVILPOSTERLAYOUT2024demo2.jpg

                OR

                http://tinyurl.com/2g38um9

                Ken Rohrer