Re: [art_education] Digest Number 448

  • lindwood@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      Good points, Marvin.
      My student DID finish about 4 things, but she started about 8 different
      projects and got pretty far into them when something happened and the
      project fell apart, didn't work out like she thought it would, etc. But
      what I loved about her was that she brushed the dirt off and got right
      into another project. She was very experiemental and tried all sorts of
      techniques in combination. For a novice jeweler only in 6th grade, it
      is not surprising that she would struggle with some of the techniques
      she was trying. What was so great about her, though, was that she
      didn't see them as major stumbling blocks to continuing. She learned
      from mistakes, could always tell me where something went wrong, and she
      could tell me how she would do it differently next time. She was
      learning, she just wasn't always finishing a piece for various reasons.
      One time she melted the wire that held a complex piece together.
      Another time she expected a complex clasp design to work as a spring
      catch, but it didn't work out that way. It looks like it would work,
      but it's decorative, not a functional catch for a bracelet. Other kids
      were more timid with what they tried. I saw risk taking from her that
      was very exciting. If she had another 9 weeks, she would be amazing.

      Linda Woods

      Visit our student's web art gallery at St.John's School

      www.sjs.org
      click on "Stories of SJS," click on "Arts Stories," click on Linda
      Woods' name. View artwork by Lower, and Middle School students as well
      as our art archives.