Re: [art_education] Advice

  • Diane Gregory
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 3 7:57 PM
      Thanks Jeff,

      My student just finished her first year of teaching art.  She is discouraged because she feels that art is not taken seriously.  So she is looking into trying to identify their ideas, opinions, knowledge, experiences so she can relate to them.  She created a survey, but the tone of it was a little defensive and so she is revising it.  The information you provided in your list will help her to strike a good, factual, or objective tone.

      Thanks so much.

      Diane

      Go confidently in the direction of your dreams--Live the Life You've Imagined!
      Henry David Thoreau, Walden

      Dr. Diane C. Gregory
      Associate Professor of Art Education
      Director, Undergraduate & Graduate Studies in Art Education
      dgregory@...

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3 9:09 PM
        I know the feeling!

        Penny Lee

        To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
        From: gregory.diane55@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:57:18 -0700

        dgregory@mail. twu.edu

        ____________ _________ _________ __

[...]

      • Jeff Pridie
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4 7:00 AM
          Warning personal opinion here

          I to have fallen into the trap of the "poor art, its never taken seriously by students, parents, community, administrators, and the list goes on"

          Teachers many times write surveys in such a way to "hear" what "they" want to "hear".  Change in any form is never clean nice and neat.  Hearing unpleasant comments also can be very damning to ones ego and esteem.

          So if you are ready for the truth survey your students.  The truth though has to be objective.  The way you gather the truth has to be meaningful for the student, valued and appreciated.  As a teacher you have to "craft" the survey so you gain the most insight as possible from the tool.

          Guard yourself and "not" take it personally.  With all the well intended lessons you may have developed students may not have connected to them.  The key to many "non-connected" lessons is the delivery system and the product.  Were students given enough "choices" to demonstrate knowledge, skill, understanding.  Was it age appropriate.  Did students find ownership in the lesson, putting a personal stamp on it?

          Finally with all well intended lessons some students will just simply not do for reasons you do not control.
          Deep rooted personality issues, emotional issues, learning disabilities, cultural issues.  Finding the right trigger for these students is so individualized and takes time to find.

          I think with surveys written specifically for individual classes can help identify some of the tools you will need to be successful.   I caution teachers using just a generic survey, a run off from the internet as it does not address many times the individualized needs specific school environments have.

          Just some thoughts.

          Jeff (minnesota)

        • pent19
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4 7:25 AM
            At the end of each project I have my students complete a checklist (a kid-friendly version of my rubric) on the checklist i ask them a few short answer questions- what did you learn, what did you like, what was difficult etc? i generally get honest answers and very few one worded or worthless answers. I also ask at the end of the year to rank this years projects (with clay usually being at the top). If i have some strugglers/stragglers i usually talk to them about whats going on and why they are frustrated. Generally their attitude has nothing to do with art but problems at home, with a friend etc. Sometimes just a few minutes chatting can turn that child around. Also, you could do a survey at the beginning of the year, on the first day and get a feel for attitudes and feelings and adjust your projects accordingly.
            Michele

            As the students get older i try to find more un-traditional materials to work with to motivate them and avoid redunance. I will be at my school for 3 years this fall and already have students looking forward to projects i have done with other kids. (some materials-copper tooling, recycled crayons, etc-i save these for the spring too when kids start getting ansy.)

          • go4art@juno.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4 8:56 AM
              Penny, like Jeff I have students complete an art survey when the class begins and a reflection at the end. Along with some of the concepts he mentioned, I also include items to gather information about the classroom studio environment (do they like to work silently, with music, etc), about the class community (what can they contribute to make it positive, etc) and the experience (what advice would they give to new students, what they want me as the teacher do to help students, etc). It always proves to be both insightful and useful.

              best wishes~
              creatively, Linda
              (middle school in Oregon)

              LCD 42" TV for $26.42? Macbook Pro for $91.73?
              Are these prices real? You WON'T Believe What We Found!
              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c598dec405c3568c23st04vuc
            • Penny Lee
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4 10:18 AM
                Thanks, Jeff.  I appreciate your insights and comments.  I will consider them when I design a survey / feedback tool.

                I have had personal experience with what you refer to as "the
                trap of the 'poor art, its never taken seriously by students, parents, community, administrators,' " etc. and it's not a myth as you imply.  In my experience teaching Art in a K-8th grade setting I found not much support and / or respect regarding Art among the 7th / 8th grade teachers in fact they portrayed Art in a very secondary light both by their actions and words.  There was more however, varied support among other classroom teachersUnfortunately, the principal of this school demonstrated little support (and respect) for Art which could have made a "trickle-down" impression on my fellow teachers.

                Thanks again for your insights.

                Penny Lee

                To: art_education@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4 10:56 AM
                    Greetings!

                    Art teachers have challenging jobs!  Call me crazy, but this is what I like about it!  It is like having a huge creative problem solving opportunity.  What an opportunity it is!  I know art teachers are creative, passionate and committed professionals.  We are up to this challenge!

                    On the one hand art education is not given the respect it deserves and on the other hand we have such a passion for the value of an education in art.  We know in the very core of our being the importance of an education in art.  Just because others do not yet see it, doesn't make it so.

                    There can sometimes be a huge gap between what we would like to see and what is reality.  The larger the gap, the more discouraging it can be.  So I have to constantly remind myself of the value of an education in art and approach my work with a positive frame of mind.  This takes a lot of work.  It is not easy.  I have to constantly talk to myself.  I put quotes all over the place and have to replace my discouraging inner voice with positive thoughts...I can not go to that negative place to often or I would just quit...and I will not do that.

                    So when writing a survey or a questionnaire, be prepared to get comments that are discouraging.  But look for the good, the positive and the rewarding.  Write your questionnaire in such a way as to encourage positive, constructive comments.

                    We have a lot of work to do to change attitudes.  I am constantly reminded of some comments I have received from pre-service elementary classroom teachers.  I think I have posted them on the list.

                    Such as,

                    This course is a waste of my time.  I don't know why I have to take it.  I will have an art teacher and she will teach the art. (In Texas over 52% of classroom teachers teach their own art because there is no art teacher)

                    Why do I need to learn how to find and write art lesson plans?  We will have a book that will tell us what to teach. (In reality, there are no books provided even if they are provided by the state)

                    Art is not tested and there is no money to buy art supplies, so why do I need to know this stuff? (Art is not part of the state mandated TAKS test and I can understand the confusion.)

                    So we have a huge challenge on our hands.  We always have.  It is like climbing Mount Everest.

                    What constructive things can each of us do to change these pervasive attitudes in our culture and educational system?  What one thing can each of us do this year to make a difference?

                    What do you think?  What would you be willing to do that you are not doing now?

                    I will be launching the Blog ArtEdOnline and maybe in some small way we will be able to reach elementary classroom teachers through this blog.

                    What do you guys think?

                    Diane

                    To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 4 11:03 AM
                      Jeff, I truly appreciate the support you are giving me and others who are not in an environment that helps them grow and prosper as people, teachers, and artists.  Very often, I have found the institution that promotes respect, growth, positive behavior, etc. among students and teachers to students has a double standard regarding teachers and administrators to teachers.  It's a shame that education is what it is and that we spend lots of time nourishingkids and issues related to kids but extremely little time taking care of adults (other than parents).

                      Penny

                      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 4 2:06 PM
                        First of all we realize we are not "alone" art educators even though we are from different parts of the country and world have and do face all the same issues.  We need to find that learning community where we can support, listen, offer advice, critique our thinking.  Support is the key.  So often as art educators we either isolate ourselves or are isolated due to the teaching environment.  Being here, venting, shoveling out all the "stuff" to others that are like in your situation can and is freeing for the soul, and sanity.  The online communities have truly been a god send as far as building community and developing professional learning communities.

                        Jeff (minnesota)

                        To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 4 4:55 PM
                          Well said Jeff. It seems each year brings new challenges along with
                          rewarding students and renewed energies. I hope each of us has a great
                          new school year. Wanda

                        • kmartist1@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5 4:09 AM
                            Jeff, yours was some of the best advice I've seen! Wish all of my children's teachers thought the same!

                          • Lynn Whitehead
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5 2:58 PM
                              I feel, as art teachers, our power to promote serious support of an
                              art program lies in the amazing artwork of our students. I am
                              fortunate to have been at my elementry school for 10 years now. The
                              parents can't imagine not having an art program. When families have
                              had to move to another school in the district, without an art program,
                              they report back that their children are receiving a lesser education
                              as a result.

                              So, the more we can expose parents and the community to tha fabulous
                              art their kids are creating the better. Parents need to be your "best
                              friends." My parents have gone to bat for me more than once when I
                              have needed money or when the art program has been threatened in any
                              way.

                              I realize that budgetary woes are still a major problem but I also
                              think we can and do have an amazing impact on our students and their
                              families. I always love hearing, for example, a parent or regular
                              classroom teacher say, "I can't believe that first grade students are
                              capable of such sophisticated artwork."

                              Keep up your passionate work for the inclusion of the arts in our
                              students' lives.

                              Lynn
                              Portland, OR